• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • MilesAhead
    Eclectician
    • Nov 2006

WD 1 TB Caviar Black 64 MB cache

I just got this drive today:

Now they have cut the price by another $9. I paid $94 +shipping. I was expecting similar performance to my 640 GB WD 64 MB cache drive, but this is even faster. I'm getting sequential read/write in the low 140s. About 143 MB/sec on a freshly formatted empty drive. The 640 GB benched about 132 MB/sec new.

They do charge for shipping but it's FedEx ground, plus the drive arrived in a static proof bag with a plastic insert in the box that kept it "floating" in the center of the box. No bubble pack. Seems like they are learning how to ship these bare drives now.

I think Windows Seven has a doodad in Storage Management to create a partition and format. But if you have Vista Home Premium you might need to use DiskPart on the command line, unless you have some drive software already. In any case it's not hard. If you google you'll find step by step how to use DiskPart from a command prompt. All you need to do is create your partition(s) then you can use Storage Management applet to format and assign the drive letter(s).

Who'd a thunk we'd see $.09/GB storage when I got my XT clone a zillion years ago?
    Last edited by MilesAhead; 14 Jul 2010, 06:19 AM. Reason: additional info
Working...