X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • yogi55
    • Nov 2005

does win 7 have..?

Greetings
    with all the new bells and shuch,does windows 7 have a partitioning program? Thinking of buying new hard drive (500 gig).and would like to split in three. Haven't done the old fashion way in a while,just looking for a easier way.
  • MilesAhead
    Eclectician
    • Nov 2006

This free partitioning software is highly recommended:

As an all-in-one bootable partition manager, MiniTool Partition Wizard bootable edition helps manage partition portable.

I recommend the boot CD as it has merge features included in the Windows Professional version, but for free. You just have to boot the CD. Seems fair.

Comment

• UncasMS
      Super Moderator
      • Nov 2001

Partition Wizard is a very good choice and it works fine with 7.

But you can also use Windows Disk Manager

Comment

• MilesAhead
        Eclectician
        • Nov 2006

I don't know how much it varies by OS type, Home Premium, Professional or whatnot, but even on the Home Premium you should have diskpart.exe to initialize drives from the command line. It's not hard to use if you have a step by step guide. I made some bootable USB keys with it. Once the disk is initialized then you should be able to do most operations with the disk management gui built into Windows.

edit: the only proviso if you use diskpart, double check the drive number that is the target of operations is the correct one. It's not shy about erasing everything if you tell it to. But it should be obvious by the disk capacities which one you are working on.

Here's a ref page:

Last edited by MilesAhead; 9 Sep 2010, 05:52 AM.

Comment

• jaydeee
          • Sep 2010

try gparted.
          that is the best one I used.

Comment

• ericpepin
            • Dec 2010

Yes It has a option in device manger option I have done it also with my PC. Thanks

Comment

Working...