• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dr_ml422
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • May 2007

Audio to MP3 etc...software needed.

Hi fellas and all as well. I need a respected time tested softwre that I can use to convert my audio CDs to MP3s etc.... I have Win 7x64 Home Premium so it also has to be Win 7x64 compatible. Idc if it's freeware or not. I just can't rely on WMP 12 or w/e's in Win 7 for my audio work. Thanks in advance and all and any replies welcomed as always.
    SAMSUNG SH-S203B, SAMSUNG SH-S223F,

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Google is definitely our friend.
  • PurpleDemon
    Digital Video Expert
    Digital Video Expert
    • Mar 2006

I'm curious. What is going on with WMP12 that is giving you the headache?

Would not want to steer you in the same path of the problems you encounter now.

Comment

• admin
      Administrator
      • Nov 2001

CDs to MP3 => use CDex, never fails me. Should work under W7 64-bit if you download the latest beta version.
      Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog

Comment

• dr_ml422
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • May 2007

@ burrell I had to do a job for a friend and couldn't because WMP 12 or w/e/s in Win 7 was still referencing a ghost file where I previously was ripping the audio cds to. Now of course I found this out after hitting the web for answers. I was well as my buddy were bent and for no other reason than WMP doing this. If it's a stand alone sw I don't have to worry about such stuff, though anything else can happen of course. That's why I want a independent software. I'll know exactly what's wrong, with Windows wth knows. To this day MS still doesn't get it regarding the same issues. Love Windows and the PC, though you'd think by now certain things be definitely cleared up.

@ admin I used to use CDex also w/out any problems back when I started with XP. I'll install it again as it is a helluva app., especially for freeware. Thnx.

Burrell if you have any other in mind feel free to post it as this is one area where 2 or 3 apps. are good to have on board.

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Comment

• PurpleDemon
          Digital Video Expert
          Digital Video Expert
          • Mar 2006

I'll give CDex a look. nice tip.
          I also like FORMAT FACTORY. Very versatile.

Comment

• MilesAhead
            Eclectician
            • Nov 2006

One I've been using for ages is AudioGrabber

I have Windows 7 32 bit and it works fine on that when using compatibility mode set to XP SP 2. I don't have 64 bit W7 to try it. A cool thing about AG is you can rip to either .mp3 or .wma. The max bit rate on the program for .wma is 192 kbit. I cannot tell any difference between .mp3 ripped @ 320 kbit and .wma @ 192. If your car stereo can play .wma you can fit a lot more files on at 192 kbit. And of course it will put the track info in the file for display in the stereo LED read out.

Comment

• paglamon
              Lord of Digital Video
              Lord of Digital Video
              • Aug 2005

Goldwave is good too.
              sigpic

ONLY MOMENTS LINGER...DEWDROPS ON A FALLEN LEAF

Comment

• dr_ml422
                Lord of Digital Video
                Lord of Digital Video
                • May 2007

Thnx guys. Now I have the pleasure of choosing which one I want or all.

@ Miles What exactly are the system requirements for AudioGrabber? Didn't see anything on their site.

Comment

• MilesAhead
                  Eclectician
                  • Nov 2006

Originally Posted by dr_ml422
                  Thnx guys. Now I have the pleasure of choosing which one I want or all.

@ Miles What exactly are the system requirements for AudioGrabber? Didn't see anything on their site.
                  It's no longer developed afaik. All I can say is it works on W7 32 bit using XP SP2 compatibility mode. At least on my HP machine.

The interface takes a bit of getting used to. But if you want .wma I'd get it. For .mp3 there are tons of choices.

Comment

• katzdvd
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    • Feb 2006

Do you guys use MP3gain to normalize the level between files, or does the recommend software(s) do this?

I have used Goldwave for years & I have found it is not the best for normalizing gain between tracks. Also, for some reason they do not keep the software current as far as it being able to handle new file types.

aac for example...

Other than that, for normal recording applications it works great. I do a lot of radio streaming/timer recording with Goldwave & it never lets me down in that regard.

Comment

• MilesAhead
                      Eclectician
                      • Nov 2006

Seems to me I remember using MP3G in the past. It's been awhile since I made any .wma discs. Mostly on discs with "kick ass" tunes. All rock & roll with heavy electric guitar. It's disconcerting driving if the volume levels vary too much between those type of tracks when you have it cranked.

Comment

• dr_ml422
                        Lord of Digital Video
                        Lord of Digital Video
                        • May 2007

Oh so it's not supported anymore ok, I installed CDex. When I used it before it was always otm. I don't get too much into the tweaking/bitrate stuff. Mainly don't know much about it. I just change the location of the ripped .mp3 file to my docking station to avoid as much thrashing and fragmentation as possible on my main HDD.

@ burrell I was going to give Format Factory a try when I read the E-bay shortcut it tries to install. I hate when any sw comes w/3rd party stuff, especially E-bay. Let me know if you have a workaround that totally avoids this. I think I can put up w/the GUI they state can be confusing. W/e happened to KISS Lol...

Comment

Working...