• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Art Vandelay
    Digital Video Technician
    Digital Video Technician
    • Feb 2006

Defragment HDD

Why when I use the installed windows 7 64 bit defragmenter to first analyse then defragment my HDD it is quite fast then I run it again and it says 0% fragmented. When I use defraggler it tells me the drive is 35% fragmented. Who do I believe, the windows program or derfraggler?
  • MilesAhead
    Eclectician
    • Nov 2006

There are many different philosophies in this field. I tend to prefer "light" defragmentation programs that complete quickly and can be run often. Some people prefer "thorough" defragmenters that can take hours/days rearranging drive contents.

I would suggest trying several and seeing how they perform. Most people tend to run with too little free space on the system drive. As I've moved to PCs that come with larger hard drives and have obtained external drives or docking stations to store data, I run with much more free space. This system I'm on now is running 90% free space on the C: partition.

Defrags are much faster when you have a lot of free space. You can do them more often.. so they don't get fragmented as easily. Every defrag program will tend to report a different amount of fragmentation depending on the scheme they use.

Right now I'm pretty happy with Puran defrag free edition:
    Puran Software - Quality First

Comment

Working...