• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • drfsupercenter
    NOT an online superstore
    • Oct 2005

Help picking out a router

Hey guys,

It's been a while since I've posted anything relevant, but I could use some help.

We originally had a Linksys WRT54G router, we've had that thing for maybe five years and it worked great. Well, we recently upgraded to a faster Internet plan so I wanted to switch to wireless N.

So I went with a Linksys one again, the WRT150N router as recommended by a friend. I put the open-source dd-wrt firmware on my 54G a couple years ago and really liked the options it had (such as making a virtual access point, I need that in order to use my Nintendo DS and such) so I'm trying to stick to dd-wrt compatible routers.
    The 150N had dd-wrt support, and it worked fine for about a month before it completely broke on me... the Wi-Fi would just not show up at all, only the wired connections would work.

At that point I tried a D-Link router, the DIR-615, because it has external antennas still where many don't these days. It worked alright but was a bit slow, so I returned it.

I tried a Netgear RangeMax one as recommended by the store I bought it from, I believe it was a WNR2000... that thing worked for about a day, literally, before the wireless crapped out as it did on the 150N.

At this point I thought I'd try one that came stock with dd-wrt, a Buffalo one... same problems as the Netgear. All the PCs in my house would connect to it and a day or two later be kicked off and the Wi-Fi access point wouldn't show up anymore.

Getting frustrated I returned that one too and tried an Asus router, it was a $100 one that supported dd-wrt. That thing did the SAME THING again.

So I'm currently using the DIR-615, which is at least STABLE, just very slow. We have 15mbps download speed and I only get 10 maximum using wi-fi...

So I'm curious if there are any other routers you guys would suggest. I've seen these even more expensive ones like this:
    Newegg.com - Linksys E4200 Wireless N Router Maximum Performance Dual-Band IEEE 802.11a/b/g/n
    And the reviews seem to say it's really good (and supports dd-wrt still)

But I'm just curious if that's necessary. I think what's causing it is "overloading" per se, as we have lots of devices that regular connect to the router, about five computers, one or two laptops, the Wii, Xbox 360 and PS3, and occasionally my phone or my dad's phone... I think these dinky cheap routers just can't handle so many connections and start dropping out.
    In fact, the DIR-615 is doing something similar rihgt now - it seems every computer in the house will work fine EXCEPT for one. That person's comptuer will get a really slow, almost dial-up speed... I'll go reboot the router and their computer will work, and ANOTHER one will be really slow. So obviously I'd like something that distributes the connection evenly and doesn't do crap like that.

Any help would be appreciated! If you have a specific router that works well for you, feel free to recommend it. I just ask that they be compatible with dd-wrt since I do actually need two access points, one of which is only WEP protected and not broadcasting its SSID (for my DS)
    CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
    Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
    My DVD Collection
  • jmet
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2002

I used to be a diehard Linksys man....but thier stuff has just gone down hill. I too have used all of the routers you listed above and none are as stable or match the control you get with the DD-WRT firmware and the Linksys WRT54G (I had a total of 3 using 2 as a WAP to extend my wireless range).

Like you I am currently using the DIR-615. Good luck though and let me know if you find one that is stable and supports DD-WRT firmware.

Comment

• drfsupercenter
      NOT an online superstore
      • Oct 2005

I ended up getting one of these:

Newegg.com - POWERLINK PL-APN Boost N Wireless Router w/4 Port Switch IEEE 802.11b/g/n, IEEE 802.3/3u, IEEE 802.1x, IEEE 802.1d (Spanning Tree Protocol)

Tried the Linksys E4200 with dd-wrt and it didn't have very good range. This Powerlink one is working fine and I get the full 15mbps ISP speed an entire floor up. It won't run dd-wrt but since it supports up to 4 virtual access points as-is, I'm fine with it.
      CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
      Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
      My DVD Collection

Comment

Working...