Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • midnightangel
    • Oct 2006

New Windows Vista Problem. Volume lock denied

Here is the report....................any ideas? Can I safely burn without the locked volume?

I 19:12:09 ImgBurn Version 2.1.0.0 started!
    I 19:12:09 Microsoft Windows Vista Home Basic Edition (6.0, Build 6000)
    I 19:12:09 Initialising SPTI...
    I 19:12:09 Searching for SCSI / ATAPI devices...
    I 19:12:11 Found 1 DVD-ROM/CD-RW and 1 DVD±RW!
    I 20:29:32 Operation Started!
    I 20:29:32 Source File: C:\TAXI_169.ISO
    I 20:29:32 Source File Sectors: 2,203,763 (MODE1/2048)
    I 20:29:32 Source File Size: 4,513,306,624 bytes
    I 20:29:32 Source File Volume Identifier: TAXI_169
    I 20:29:32 Source File Implementation Identifier: DVD Shrink
    I 20:29:32 Source File File System(s): ISO9660, UDF (1.02)
    I 20:29:32 Destination Device: [0:1:0] HL-DT-ST DVD-RW GSA-H11N JG03 (G (ATA)
    I 20:29:32 Destination Media Type: DVD+R (Disc ID: MCC-004-00) (Speeds: 4x, 8x, 12x, 16x)
    I 20:29:32 Destination Media Sectors: 2,295,104
    I 20:29:32 Write Mode: DVD
    I 20:29:32 Write Type: DAO
    I 20:29:32 Write Speed: MAX
    I 20:29:32 Link Size: Auto
    I 20:29:32 Test Mode: No
    I 20:29:32 BURN-Proof: Enabled
    E 20:30:03 Failed to lock volume for exclusive access.
    E 20:30:03 Reason: Access is denied.
    E 20:30:03 Operation Aborted! - Duration: 00:00:31
    I 20:30:03 Average Write Rate: N/A - Maximum Write Rate: N/A
    I 20:30:15 Operation Started!
    I 20:30:15 Source File: C:\TAXI_169.ISO
    I 20:30:15 Source File Sectors: 2,203,763 (MODE1/2048)
    I 20:30:15 Source File Size: 4,513,306,624 bytes
    I 20:30:15 Source File Volume Identifier: TAXI_169
    I 20:30:15 Source File Implementation Identifier: DVD Shrink
    I 20:30:15 Source File File System(s): ISO9660, UDF (1.02)
    I 20:30:15 Destination Device: [0:1:0] HL-DT-ST DVD-RW GSA-H11N JG03 (G (ATA)
    I 20:30:15 Destination Media Type: DVD+R (Disc ID: MCC-004-00) (Speeds: 4x, 8x, 12x, 16x)
    I 20:30:15 Destination Media Sectors: 2,295,104
    I 20:30:15 Write Mode: DVD
    I 20:30:15 Write Type: DAO
    I 20:30:15 Write Speed: MAX
    I 20:30:15 Link Size: Auto
    I 20:30:15 Test Mode: No
    I 20:30:15 BURN-Proof: Enabled
    W 20:30:22 DeviceIoControl(FSCTL_LOCK_VOLUME) Failed! - Reason: Access is denied.

I have all administration turned off. It should alow anything through.
  • Steve83
    Bronco Guru
    • May 2006

Wipe the hard drive & install WinXPPro, or Win2KPro. JMO
    Walk softly and carry a BIG SIX!!!

Comment

• petitmalin
      • Feb 2007

Your drive is being held hostage

In case I'm wrong when I say, "Kill Vista's sidebar--it is writing packets to your drive, and preventing DVDD's ability to hijack it", take a look at Post #9 of the forum topic at the following link: http://forum.imgburn.com/index.php?showtopic=59. The 'Access Denied' is due to some process having a handle to your drive and not relinquishing it. I had already installed ImgBurn by the time Lightning's steps revealed that Vista's sidebar had a hold of my "cdrom", but I'm willing to bet a chicken that it wouldn't hurt you if you decided to stick with DVDD...except that DVDD is no longer being updated and you may not have the latest decoder ring for some of the newer discs.

Last edited by petitmalin; 12 Feb 2007, 03:21 PM.

Comment

• midnightangel
        • Oct 2006

Vista's sidebar is part of the OS and if removed, will mess up the OS operations. Checked into it already. Oh well, **** happens.
        Last edited by midnightangel; 26 Feb 2007, 07:42 AM.

Comment

• antoniost
          • Mar 2007

It's the process wmprph.exe (Windows Media Player Rich Program Handler) that is preventing you from locking your drive. From what I read it's responsible for the preview option in the preview pan of windows explorer folders. I just simply killed it in the task manager.

Comment

• midnightangel
            • Oct 2006

I will check my vista comp and be back to give an update. If it works, cool. Then everyone here will know how to remove this problem and get their volume lock to work. Be back with an update.

Comment

• midnightangel
              • Oct 2006

Well, I checked my task manager for wmprph and nothing there. Is there anywhere else to find this exe file?

Comment

• doctorhardware
                Lord of Digital Video
                Lord of Digital Video
                • Dec 2006

If you computer comes with Vista, it is not recommended to down grade the OS.
                Star Baby Girl, Born March,1997 Died June 30th 2007 6:35 PM.

Comment

• LIGHTNING UK!
                  Author of ImgBurn
                  • Dec 2001

Can't you follow the ImgBurn FAQ and use Process Explorer to see which application has an open handle to the drive?

It's pretty simple.

Problem: You get an I/O Error saying 'The Parameter is incorrect'. Answer: In the settings screen, change the 'Transfer Length' option to 'Manual' instead of 'Automatic' and put it on '32 KB' instead of '64 KB'.
                  The Official ImgBurn Website

Comment

• wiirox
                    • Mar 2007

i know this is an old thread but i am only posting here now (and have just joined so i can post this) because i was having the exact same problem also running vista my burn would work the first time with no exclusive access error and every other time after that it would have the exclusive access error until the next time the pc was switched off (it still had the error by just a restart) and back on. And i have just followed petitmalin s advise about switching the sidebar off and i have burned 8 dvd's now in a row with no errors.(please midnightangel don't spread the wrong advise on these forums Quote "Vista's sidebar is part of the OS and if removed, will mess up the OS operations. Checked into it already. Oh well, **** happens." is blatently untrue as you just hover the mouse over the sidebar icon inthe taskbar press the right mouse button and click exit you can switch it back on once your done burning)

Comment

• midnightangel
                      • Oct 2006

WIIROX: Don't get me wrong. I'm not spreading the wrong info. There is another post on here about the sidebar being non-removable. Thus meaning it can not be DELETED from the system. It IS part of the OS and if removed, CAN possibly screw up the OS. There is a difference between exiting it and deleting it.

Anyway, for the life of me I cannot remember where I was reading about the side bar being part of the OS. I will do a lot of searching and find it again and when I do, I will post the link here. Maybe I read it incorrectly, but it is what I got from the article.

So again, if I read it wrong or interprited it wrong, I am sorry, but hopefully I will find it, post it, and you will see the same thing I saw. I will be in touch

Comment

• wiirox
                        • Mar 2007

sorry but i took his advise to kill the sidebar (the forum was down so i couldn't check the post he was refering to.) but i took his meaning as to kill the process eg exit the program and it would solve the problem but after reading your post it made me slightly weary of it but i knew i had turned it off many times before with no ill effect so i did it and img burn went from always having the error to never having it. but after reading your post my instinct was not to do it but i'm so glad i did. but your thread was my saviour

Comment

• Chewy
                          Super Moderator
                          • Nov 2003

what gadgets do you all have running in the sidebar?

Comment

Working...