Administrator
    • Nov 2001

Why HD movie downloads are a big lie

Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog
  • Chewy
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2003

very interesting blog, I wish I really understood it better

I have seen(3 years ago) divx/xvid duplicate the quality of a 3 hour mpeg2 by shrinking the file size to a 1/3 the size

Now H264 improves upon that, slightly, but the examples seem to be larger for the run time(1.4gig for 1 1/2 hours)

1400MB/5400sec is only 259KB/s ????????????

Is bluray/HD that much better?

Comment

• drfsupercenter
      NOT an online superstore
      • Oct 2005

I guess it all depends on the source. Animated stuff compresses easier (if you use XviD cartoon mode), and can look as good as, if not better than, the source DVD. I have tried this with some Pokémon episodes, 195MB for a typical 23min episode turns out great looking.

Unfortunately, live action has to be bigger to get that same quality, so if these companies are locked in on file size, I guess it isn't gonna be that good quality!
      CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
      Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
      My DVD Collection

Comment

• admin
        Administrator
        • Nov 2001

High def DVD bitrates tend to vary a lot, for example The Brothers Grimm Blu-ray with AVC encoding only uses 16 Mbps, while Identity Blu-ray also with AVC encoding uses 28.5 Mbps. Click with MPEG-2 uses nearly 36 Mbps, Fantastic Four also with MPEG-2 uses only 16 Mbps. More bitrates listed here.

In comparison, DVD only uses around 4 to 7 Mbps, but that's to be expected since 1080p holds 5 times as much information as 480/576. So you really do need about 20 to 30 GB to store the movie, just to keep it the same "bitrate per pixel" as DVD. Downloading a Blu-ray/HD DVD is just not worth the time/effort/cost at the moment.

I think 1.3 Mbps for a 720p is far too little - 1.3 Mbps will get you a very good quality AVC encode at DVD resolution, but that's not nearly enough for a 720p clip (more than twice as much information compared to DVD resolution) - 720p needs 4 Mbps or above. Even then, you get downloads comparable to the size of a DVD - acceptable for some people, but only once or twice per month.

I think the studios should concentrate on delivering DVD resolution content first (using the more advanced codecs), before thinking about HD. People will accept 1 to 1.5 GB downloads, but not much bigger than that at the moment due to net speed and quotas (especially people, like me, in less developed countries in terms of ADSL).
        Last edited by admin; 1 Jun 2007, 10:00 PM.
        Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog

Comment

• Chewy
          Super Moderator
          • Nov 2003

especially people, like me, in less developed countries
          sad state of affairs in Oz

Comment

• anonymez
            Super Moderator
            • Mar 2004

1.3mbps is a joke. But then so is the idea of a suitable bitrate, since it's not really practical for most people.

1400MB/5400sec is only 259KB/s ?
            In kilobits, 2.17mbps. At least 4mpbs is needed, and we're talking 2-pass x264. Higher for Quicktime.
            "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

Working...