New Sony Blu-ray players: Better than PS3?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

New Sony Blu-ray players: Better than PS3?

Sony has announced two new Blu-ray players scheduled to be released in the second half of the year: the entry-level BDP-S350 and the step-up BDP-S550.
    Get full-length product reviews, the latest news, tech coverage, daily deals, and category deep dives from CNET experts worldwide.

The S350 is Profile 1.1. and can be upgraded to BD-Live capable through firmware (but might not be full Profile 2.0, as it may lack the required 1 GB persistent storage). The S550 has the 1 GB persistent storage, so it should be Profile 2.0 compliant. The S550 is especially attractive because it has analogue 7.1 output (for those without the latest receivers) and supports full on-board decoding for DTS-HD (both HR and MA formats). The only comparable player is still the PS3, but it lacks full DTS-HD decoding and does not support HD audio format bitstreaming (so even if you have a HD audio decoding receiver, the PS3 cannot send the signal to the receiver for decoding).
    Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog
  • BR7
    He is coming to your little town!
    • Aug 2005

but it lacks full DTS-HD decoding and does not support HD audio format bitstreaming
    I read a Sony insider thread that a firmware is coming to allow the PS3 to decode this

My Blu-ray Collection

Comment

• admin
      Administrator
      • Nov 2001

If full 7.1 decoding for DTS-HD can be added to the PS3 (I don't see any reason why it cannot, all it takes is a bit of work), then it just confirms the PS3 as the Blu-ray player of choice for the moment, especially if Profile 2.0/BD-Live is required. The bitstreaming won't be possible on current PS3s due to limitation of the HDMI chip used, but the rumour is a future PS3 SKU might be able to do it.

The debate of whether decoding or bitstreaming is better will continue. I think the difference is in how the receivers handle PCM 5/7.1 input, rather than any actual differences between the decoders of the player and the receiver (if it's all decoded and sent digitally, there should be no difference, right?).
      Last edited by admin; 28 Feb 2008, 01:57 AM.
      Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog

Comment

Working...