X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

Pioneer will outsource plasma business - Official Statement

In an official statement made by Pioneer, they have decided to outsource their plasma panel production business for future models. This means that the next next generation model, the 10th gen model, will feature a panel that is not made by Pioneer. The 9th generation model to be released in May will not be affected. Pioneer's current Kuro plasma range is considered to be the best in the world. The official statement was made to counter rumours that Pioneer will be pulling out of plasma production altogether, and moving onto LCD production.

Here is part of the official statement:

As you are aware, outsourcing is common practice among successful consumer electronics companies all over the world. Many of the most notable and respected brands of televisions, cell phones and video game consoles do not manufacture their own products. Pioneer plans to outsource production of plasma panel modules in 2009 in an effort to right-size the business.

Pioneer is developing plans with a production partner that offers the best
    quality and reliability in line with its own strategy and high standards,
    but at this point no partnership arrangements or decisions have been made.
    More information:

Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog
  • doctorhardware
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Dec 2006

With Pioneer outsourcing the next generation of the plasma screen, I wonder if the quality will go down the tubes.
    Star Baby Girl, Born March,1997 Died June 30th 2007 6:35 PM.

Comment

• admin
      Administrator
      • Nov 2001

I'm hoping not. They will probably still do the quality control, but the important thing is that they will actually share some of their design secrets to whomever they outsource to (the rumour now is Panasonic), and this will actually help to improve plasma panel quality for whatever brand the outsourced company also supplies.

Comment

• doctorhardware
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • Dec 2006

Panasonic would be a good choice to have the rights to manufacture the plasma displays for Pioneer.
        Star Baby Girl, Born March,1997 Died June 30th 2007 6:35 PM.

Comment

• rago88
          Digital Video Expert
          Digital Video Expert
          • Aug 2005

Panasonic already makes the best looking Plasma tv's according to Consumer Reports USA.
          42" and 50" consistantly number 1 and 2..

" the 50" Pansonic plasma had the best looking picture we ever tested" the're words..

Comment

• admin
            Administrator
            • Nov 2001

Was this before or after Pioneer released the "Kuro"? The Kuro is the most expensive plasma on the market I think, but it's still one of the best sellers. It's built in scaler (to scale everything to the panel's native resolution) is excellent, better than some standalone solutions (so people with Kuros don't even need a DVD upscaler).

Comment

• rago88
              Digital Video Expert
              Digital Video Expert
              • Aug 2005

Actually,
              A 1st place nod was also given to Pioneer but stated quite exspensive for a 50 Plasma compared to Panasonic and was not concidered a "Best Buy". meaning not necessary to spend alot more if you want a great looking Plasma tv which is the main reason CR exists...

Concidering that "Consumer Reports" [ which btw accepts no paid advertising from Manufacturers and is completly non-bias about there ratings] is all about Best bang for the Buck to Joe Consumer and that technical bells/whistles don't always ring #1, It's understandable they would choose the way they did.
              I'm a techno lover but I think the Pioneer price would have chased me away...

Never knew why Pioneer Plasma was always $1,000.00 or more than Panny..
              Had already bought our Plasma in 2006 so never researched the Kuro..
              Last edited by rago88; 11 Mar 2008, 04:57 AM.

Comment

• admin
                Administrator
                • Nov 2001

I'm thinking about getting a new plasma in 2009, current plans include either the Panasonic or the Pioneer (but given this news, both will probably be very similar by that time). Would prefer 55" @ 1080p, but will settle for 50" @ 1080p, not so much for the extra resolution over my current 720p which might not be that noticeable on a 50" screen, but having a 1:1 pixel mapping means no need for scaling for 1080i/p content.

Comment

• rago88
                  Digital Video Expert
                  Digital Video Expert
                  • Aug 2005

but having a 1:1 pixel mapping means no need for scaling for 1080i/p content.

good nuff reason..

Comment

• Maria2009
                    • Aug 2009

thanks for your suggestion

Comment

• Budreaux
                      • Jan 2006

make sure you get 120Hz, instead of the 60Hz.
                      May as well be prepared for the possiblity of the future home 3D technology.

Comment

Working...