X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

Blu-ray boom not enough to rescue DVD sales

Citigroup analyst Jason Bazinet figures that wholesale DVD revenue worldwide, for theatrical releases only, came in at $25 billion in 2006, dropped to $23.1 billion last year and will further decline to $21.4 billion this year.

"The industry appears to be lowering pricing to keep demand aloft," he said in his recent 2008 studio forecast.
    Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog
  • Chewy
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2003

looks like cable television is winning the war

Comment

• admin
      Administrator
      • Nov 2001

I think it's more of a case of people spending their money on other things, like video games (the video game industry is experiencing a huge boom at the moment). I actually think video games are better value for money in terms of entertainment, since a $50 game gives you up to 30 hours of interactive enjoyment, whereas a $25 movie only gives you 3 or 4 hours, at most.

Comment

• dr_ml422
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • May 2007

Is the pricing for the Blu-rays more or less meeting current prices on Blu-ray players as far as accomodating the 4 sure format conversion? Figure if the players are still between 3 to 500 bucks, if that, I guess both things must be taken into account.
        SAMSUNG SH-S203B, SAMSUNG SH-S223F,

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Google is definitely our friend.

Comment

• BR7
          He is coming to your little town!
          • Aug 2005

I noticed people are waiting for the affordable future proof players to come out. A lot of them seem to think you can't use the PS3 for just playing Blu-ray movies.The most common comment is "I am not a gamer so I am not going to buy the PS3" like it's going to explode if it doesn't get a game thrown in to it once in a while LOL.I would give it another year before BR sales start booming
          Last edited by BR7; 28 Apr 2008, 02:34 PM.

My Blu-ray Collection

Comment

• admin
            Administrator
            • Nov 2001

The PS3 is a very good Blu-ray player, and good value too even if you don't play games. However, it won't stop regular folks from thinking it is a game console that they don't want or need, and that's the problem.

For me, the problem is not hardware prices. I'll gladly pay $400 for a good DVD upscaler plus HD player, especially when many people have already spent loads on a HDTV. The problem is movie pricing, particularly in Aus/Eu/UK, and people just aren't willing to switch their spending from DVD to Blu-ray if it means a significant cost increase (up to 130% more here in Australia, from $15 for 6 months old DVDs versus average of $35 for Blu-ray movies that aren't discounted based on release date).

Comment

• BR7
              He is coming to your little town!
              • Aug 2005

The prices of the movies are a bit high.I been getting some of mine used in forum trading/selling threads for around $15.I know there are some Blu-ray movies out there that give you $10 off if you bring in your DVD copy of that same movie.The BOGOs are gone, but there are a lot of sales going on here in the states that start anywhere from $13- $19.99 a movie(mostly online)

My Blu-ray Collection

Comment

• dr_ml422
                Lord of Digital Video
                Lord of Digital Video
                • May 2007

I thought I was off track when I made my post. When I hear DVD I think all inclusive. Maybe when the dust settles they'll be no confusion as to which format is being discussed. That said, $400 for an upscaler plus HD player is kinda high, unless you're quoting prices in Australia for that also. Here in the city a lot of my friends have purchased a nice 46 in. LCD for $2000 and they threw in a 19 in. w/it. They're going to have to level off a bit more at a lesser price for most to buy. The players that is. I'm a bit partial myself about the PS3 for Blu-ray only as I don't play games. It might be in the works for me as a new recreational past time/hobby. I'm just leary to any kind of combo units period. Learned a while back when the phones started coming together w/answering machines. When either one went you'd have to get a whole new set and be left w/out both in the mean time.

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Comment

• admin
                  Administrator
                  • Nov 2001

A $2000 screen (assuming it to be 1080p) should be paired with at least a $400 HD/DVD upscaling player to get the best out of it. I'm using a 720p screen from 4 years ago and I only saw what it was fully capable of doing when I got into HD. A new 1080p LCD will look amazing when given the opportunity (Planet Earth Blu-ray @ 1080p => amazing!).

And I think if HD movies are at DVD prices, ie. $10 to $15 per movie, then the initial $400 investment in a player will be quite inconsequential in the grand scheme of things (if you're like me and have spent thousands on a sound system and more thousands on a TV, all of which will only be fully "tested" when presented with real HD content). But at $20 to $25, I just can't find the urge to buy lots of HD movies, and will treat it more as an indulgence, rather than something you pick up impulsively when shopping online or at the local supermarket (which is where a lot of DVDs are sold these days probably).

Comment

• dr_ml422
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    • May 2007

That's the ticket. In the long run the initial investment will more than pay for itself like you mentioned after seeing the results w/both player and set at work together w/reasonable prices for the Blu-rays. I'm w/you in that I'm going to get w/e is needed as being conducive to the whole digital conversion. It's just those that are not fortunate to buy the new hardware that'll for the most part not only be affected by the digital revolution but in turn play a significant role in the lowering of prices by the manufacturers. Some middle ground has to be reached where the big guns will make their profit and the consumer will be partially satisfied. I'm still new to this whole Blu-ray stuff myself and don't even know till date how it's panned out in terms of reliability and performance.

Comment

• doctorhardware
                      Lord of Digital Video
                      Lord of Digital Video
                      • Dec 2006

But the video game industry, ie video game rooms are feelnig the huge pinch due to two factors 1 the Wii and 2 the high gas prices. Namco in Japan is closing approximately 75 game rooms. So there is a huge down turn in the game industry.
                      Star Baby Girl, Born March,1997 Died June 30th 2007 6:35 PM.

Comment

• admin
                        Administrator
                        • Nov 2001

The home video game industry, on the other hand, is booming right now. The Wii is selling loads (not just hardware, but Super Smash Bros. Brawl sold 2.7m copies in the US last month ... the next on the list Rainbow Six Vegas 2 at only 0.75m), but the format war between the PS3 and 360 has also helped to generate more sales (and better "exclusive" titles on both side).

This is where people's money have gone into I think.

Comment

Working...