X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

Sony confirms shift to single PS3 model

Sony's decision to double the storage capacity of its $399.99 PlayStation 3 is part of a plan to shift to a single model of the game machine, ending the console maker's two-tiered approach, an executive confirmed Wednesday.
    Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog
  • copyless
    Digital Video Expert
    Digital Video Expert
    • Apr 2006

DRF, you see that this means the 40GB model will become the 80GB model, meaning they will no longer play the PS2 games. So if you have a library of PS2 games and are willing to pay the $499 for the 80GB model that is out now, you need to do it before they're gone, because they do play the PS2 games, but the new model will not.

So you'll have the decision of waiting and getting double the storage and no PS2 compatibility, or an extra hundred now and PS2 capable. That is, if this is the route you decide to take.

I thought mine played them, I just didn't know because I have none, but now I know that it does.

Comment

• drfsupercenter
      NOT an online superstore
      • Oct 2005

At this rate I'm probably going to buy a used PS2 somewhere.

I don't own any PlayStation games whatsoever... so that's more of a luxury than anything.
      CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
      Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
      My DVD Collection

Comment

• admin
        Administrator
        • Nov 2001

Buying a used (or even new) PS2 is probably not a bad idea if you want to play PS2 games or to keep your PS2 collection usable. The PS3 is an expensive beast, and to use it to play Blu-rays, PS3 games, DVDs and PS2 is probably over using it a bit and it will shorten it's lifespan considerably. If you don't have any PS2 games, then I think you probably should just skip PS2 altogether and go to PS3. Unfortunately, PS3 games aren't that cheap, and there aren't that many games yet either ... ironically, the perfect upgrade path for PS2 owners may be the Xbox 360, since both the hardware and software are cheaper (comparable to PS2 levels) and there are more games on it. The PS3 seems, to me at least, like a "deluxe" game console still for the early adopters, but a good value one only if you also want Blu-ray playback.

But as the 80 GB model is being discontinued, there will be a small sale on it ($100 off I think), so it might be worth a punt.
        Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog

Comment

• drfsupercenter
          NOT an online superstore
          • Oct 2005

Well isn't the 80GB model only $100 more? So it would be like the same price?

The thing with PS2 games is they sell them at local stores here for under $10 now... so I could make a collection very easily. As for PS3 games, that's why I didn't want to get a PS3 originally... because there's not many good games and they still make games for PS2.

But the Blu-Ray player is a definite plus. If Xbox 360 supported Blu-Ray, I'd get one of those instead of a PS3 (also because the 360 plays old Xbox games)
          CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
          Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
          My DVD Collection

Comment

Working...