X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

Rockstar explains GTA IV's DRM

Grand Theft Auto IV for PC will come equipped with DRM software to protect the game from naughty pirates, Rockstar has said, but there's no limit on concurrent installations.

You should also only have to authenticate it using the internet once, even if you uninstall and reinstall it at a later date, although this is done by leaving a few registry settings in place once the game's removed, which might prove unpopular...
    Grand Theft Auto IV for PC will come equipped with DRM software to protect the game from naughty pirates, Rockstar has …

The DRM is still too restrictive, but I like the fact that game companies now have to come out and justify their use of DRM thanks to EA Spore-gate. Hopefilly, it will only be a matter of time before they have to justify even using DRM, just like with music.
    Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog
  • drfsupercenter
    NOT an online superstore
    • Oct 2005

Couldn't those registry values easily be put on other computers? If someone were to copy it for a friend, couldn't they just give them a flash drive with the serial number and the registry values?

Not to condone piracy, I'm just saying that seems stupid.

I miss the good old days when games didn't have serial number, activation, or anything like that. (Most of mine are still like that... as I prefer older GOOD games to the new poor excuse for games that come out today) You'd just put the CD in the drive and install/play it. And I'm sure those were pirated a whole lot less than Spore...
    CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
    Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
    My DVD Collection

Comment

Working...