• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • atifsh
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • May 2003

iPod Touch explodes in a child's pocket

Apple's iPod Touch is one of the hottest devices around and unfortunately for one youngster it got so hot that it exploded in his pocket.

The mother of a child living in Cincinnati is suing Apple and ten unnamed retail employees for "gross negligence and recklessness, as they supposedly conducted themselves maliciously and fraudulently when selling the iTouch".

The story goes that a child's "iPod touch was sitting in the ‘off' position when it unexpectedly popped and caused the kid to feel a burning sensation. At that time, he stood up and noticed that his pants were, in fact, on fire. ‘Plaintiff A.V. immediately ran to the bathroom and took off his burning pants with the assistance of a friend,' reads the complaint. ‘On said date and at said time, the Apple iTouch had burned through Plaintiff A.V.'s pants pocket and melted through his nylon/spandex underwear, burning his leg.'"

The mother is asking for $150,000 total plus attorney fees for the child's bills and emotional distress. While it's quite unfortunate that the youngster had to experience this it seems that exploding technology has become more common place as the devices become more complex.
    Seems like as soon you buy somehing, v. 2 comes out 1.5 times as fast!..!
  • Derree
    Digital Video Expert
    Digital Video Expert
    • Jul 2005

Just saw this post, I have an Ipod touch, and don't even notice it getting warm at all... and I carry mine in my pocket normally....something else had to of happened there
    sigpic

Turn down the suck...Turn up the
    good
    -------------------------------------------

Comment

• doctorhardware
      Lord of Digital Video
      Lord of Digital Video
      • Dec 2006

It sounds like that the battery had developed a short and it is possible for the battery to explode. I had a car battery explode in my car. What a mess. Battery acid all over the engine compartment.
      Star Baby Girl, Born March,1997 Died June 30th 2007 6:35 PM.

Comment

• drfsupercenter
        NOT an online superstore
        • Oct 2005

That's pretty awesome, and hopefully less people will buy iPods

I'm just waiting for when the Zune HD comes out... that thing will be pretty darn sweet.
        CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
        Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
        My DVD Collection

Comment

• atifsh
          Lord of Digital Video
          Lord of Digital Video
          • May 2003

Originally Posted by doctorhardware
          I had a car battery explode in my car. What a mess. Battery acid all over the engine compartment.

u were lucky, my car caught fire after apparently its battery exploded, whole engine compartment and the front of the car got burnt.
          Seems like as soon you buy somehing, v. 2 comes out 1.5 times as fast!..!

Comment

• doctorhardware
            Lord of Digital Video
            Lord of Digital Video
            • Dec 2006

Yes I know that I got very lucky on that. All it did was to mix up some baking soda and spray the engine compartment. I had to make sure I neutralize the battery acid.
            Star Baby Girl, Born March,1997 Died June 30th 2007 6:35 PM.

Comment

Working...