X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

Microsoft's Machiavellian Codec Scheme

The controversy revolves around how Microsoft prioritizes filters when you play back content. Currently, if you have several filters installed that can all handle the same job, WMP will look at the merit value of each filter and give preference to the highest one. Since you have the ability to prioritize which filters you want your computer to use, it allows you to create the ideal settings based on your hardware.

-- snip --

With the Windows 7 RC, Microsoft has taken away your ability to prioritize which filter you can use. From their perspective, they get a ton of complaints about filter problems and by making it a closed system, it improves the experience for their customers. For the codec industry though, it will reduce the incentive for engineers to continue to work on filters because Microsoft has just essentially seized the entire filter market.

-- snip --

If the EU understands even a little bit about codecs, I would expect them to be up in arms over this issue, because it essentially proves the argument that they’ve been trying to make. Microsoft’s dominance in the operating system is having a detrimental effect on competition in other areas of the software industry.

About Windows 7's new codec regime that aims to block third party codecs, includes interview with CoreCodec's Dan Marlin.
    Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog
  • drfsupercenter
    NOT an online superstore
    • Oct 2005

Who uses Windows Media Player anyway?

VLC and MPC for the win.
    CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
    Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
    My DVD Collection

Comment

• Budreaux
      • Jan 2006

Well, to be fair, Vista's Media Center PLayer is actually quite good.
      For those of us that have build HTPCs, the integration of the player is very favorable.
      I actually set up to use VLC first, as it is what I have always used, BUT, in Vista, the built in player works better and is smoother.

Comment

• MilesAhead
        Eclectician
        • Nov 2006

Only thing I can't figure out, is Machiavellian progressive scan or interlaced?

Comment

• drfsupercenter
          NOT an online superstore
          • Oct 2005

If you're using HDMI it would have to be progressive.

As far as Vista's media center is concerned, I refuse to touch Vista, even with a 10 foot pole. So for me I use MPC for DVDs and the like, and VLC for AVI because of its built in codecs.
          CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
          Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
          My DVD Collection

Comment

• atifsh
            Lord of Digital Video
            Lord of Digital Video
            • May 2003

thers some hype going around about 7 codecs and blocvking other codecs... but thats not entirly true..

first sharks007 codecs works 100%.
            scond iv used a tool forgot the name a small tool that let u change the preference of the codecs, on windows 7 and it works fine.
            Seems like as soon you buy somehing, v. 2 comes out 1.5 times as fast!..!

Comment

Working...