• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • atifsh
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • May 2003

30,000mph meteorite hits German teenager

You have more chance of being struck by a meteorite” goes the old saying, depending how you look at that, German teen Gerrit Blank was either particularly lucky or very unlucky.
    Gerrit Blank, 14, was on his way to school when he saw "ball of light" heading straight towards him from the sky.
    A red hot, pea-sized piece of rock then hit his hand before bouncing off and causing a foot wide crater in the ground.
    The fourteen year old was hit on the hand by a falling pea-sized meteorite, apparently traveling at up to 30,000mph and hitting the ground with enough force to produce “an enormous bang like a crash of thunder” and knock Blank off his feet.
    Blank had a lucky escape, though: despite the metorites’ potential for damage, he walked away with a three-inch long scar on his hand. Scientists have examined the rock and declared it authentic.
    “At first I just saw a large ball of light, and then I suddenly felt a pain in my hand. Then a split second after that there was an enormous bang like a crash of thunder. The noise that came after the flash of light was so loud that my ears were ringing for hours afterwards. When it hit me it knocked me flying and then was still going fast enough to bury itself into the road” Gerrit Blank
    Most meteorites apparently burn up in the atmosphere, with six out of the seven that make it through landing out at sea. The only other person known to have survived a meteorite strike is a woman in Alabama, USA, who had one crash through her roof land on her in 1954 while she slept.
    Seems like as soon you buy somehing, v. 2 comes out 1.5 times as fast!..!
  • Wombler
    Affable Wanderer
    • Jul 2006

That sounds a bit like the press sensationalising things again.

For starters, if it was travelling at 30,000mph it would have gone straight through his hand and not 'bounced off'.

Here's a quote from another website.

"At least one expert, however, was skeptical. "It's absolute nonsense," Darryl Pitt, curator of the Macovich Collection of Meteorites, told msnbc.com. "It's theoretically impossible." Pitt said the teen's description of what happened is not consistent with known information about meteorites."

Wombler

Comment

• katzdvd
      Lord of Digital Video
      Lord of Digital Video
      • Feb 2006

That sounds a bit like the press sensationalising things again.

For starters, if it was travelling at 30,000mph it would have gone straight through his hand and not 'bounced off'.
      Agreed - I doubt that he would have felt any pain, as he mentioned in the story. I am pretty sure he wouldn't have felt anything...

Comment

• MilesAhead
        Eclectician
        • Nov 2006

The thing probably hit him in the hand because the idiot was trying to measure how fast it was traveling. I can picture the kid now holding his thumb and forefinger about 3 cm apart claiming, "it traveled this distance in 1 microsecond.. therefore..." Ha hah

Comment

• atifsh
          Lord of Digital Video
          Lord of Digital Video
          • May 2003

i know only thing could happen is it may have brushed his hand, if thats all true.

Comment

• blutach
            Not a god of digital video
            • Oct 2004

At that speed, there would most likely have been huge shock, possibly stopping his heart.

It's not 1st April, is it?

Regards
            Les

Essential progs - [PgcEdit] [VobBlanker] [MenuShrink] [IfoEdit] [Muxman] [DVD Remake Pro] [DVD Rebuilder] [BeSweet] [Media Player Classic] [DVDSubEdit] [ImgBurn]

Media and Burning - [Golden Rules of Burning] [Media quality] [Fix your DMA] [Update your Firmware] [What's my Media ID Code?] [How to test your disc]
            [What's bitsetting?] [Burn dual layer disks safely] [Why not to burn with Ner0] [Interpret Ner0's burn errors] [Got bad playback?] [Burner/Media compatibility]

Cool Techniques - [2COOL's guides] [Clean your DVD] [Join a flipper] [Split into 2 DVDs] [Save heaps of Mb] [How to mock strip] [Cool Insert Clips]

Real useful info - [FAQ INDEX] [Compression explained] [Logical Remapping of Enabled Streams] [DVD-Replica] [Fantastic info on DVDs]

You should only use genuine Verbatim or Taiyo Yuden media. Many thanks to www.pcx.com.au for their supply and great service.

Explore the sites and the programs - there's a gold mine of information in them

Don't forget to play the Digital Digest Quiz!!! (Click here)

Comment

• MilesAhead
              Eclectician
              • Nov 2006

Originally Posted by blutach
              At that speed, there would most likely have been huge shock, possibly stopping his heart.

It's not 1st April, is it?

Regards
              Whoever the cop was working the Radar gun, I just hope he ain't hanging around my neighborhood. "Dude! You were doing 380 MPH in a 45 MPH zone!!" Yeah, ok officer.

Comment

• atifsh
                Lord of Digital Video
                Lord of Digital Video
                • May 2003

more likely ur doing 380 in prius lol

Comment

Working...