No Hulu on the PS3? A Possible Explanation?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

No Hulu on the PS3? A Possible Explanation?

Patrick Klepek over at G4TV recently inquired about Hulu not working on the PS3, and while he got back a response, the answer wasn't exactly clear.

It appears that "tough decisions" had to be made in regards to blocking Hulu usage on the PS3 perhaps, and the answer also hints at distribution models for television and movies.

Is Sony banning Hulu because it might hurt their own plans to sell TV and movies through the PS store? Or are content owners not prepared yet to allow consumer devices such as the PS3 to start streaming Hulu content?

It's an interesting debate because the Internet is now available on more than just PCs. In fact, pretty soon, if not already, the *majority* of Internet usage may not even be on a PC. So an online distribution deal, at the time it was signed, might have been with PC usage in mind - but once consumer devices such as set-top boxes (or game consoles), phones and portable game consoles become the number one portals to access the Internet, then the game changes completely. Things like revenue streams, which were based on PC usage, might no longer apply if people are browsing the website through their PS3s. And how would it affect existing deals between content providers and Sony, for example?

More:

Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog
  • Derree
    Digital Video Expert
    Digital Video Expert
    • Jul 2005

I just wish I could get Hulu here
    sigpic

Turn down the suck...Turn up the
    good
    -------------------------------------------

Comment