X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

Confirmed: Toshiba To Produce Blu-ray Player This Year

Last month, I posted a rumour that suggests Toshiba was going to start producing Blu-ray players, based on some statements made to shareholders. Today, the rumour has been confirmed and Toshiba is applying for membership of the Blu-ray Disc Association and will start selling Blu-ray products starting right now.

Back then, based on some other articles, I theorized that Toshiba making this move right now is not only a concession from them that they cannot afford to not take part in Blu-ray (as a CE firm, and computing firm, ignoring Blu-ray is hardly a sensible thing to do), but also a step towards their stated goals after HD DVD failed, that of trying to establish digital and flash memory distribution as a way to distribute movies free from the constrains of a physical video format (any video format that must come in a specific physical form). The fact that Panasonic has already added digital video distribution to their Blu-ray players signals perhaps that the mainstream market is finally ready to accept video streaming - the next step would be to add flash memory/USB drive playback support, which is already available on TiVo and LG Blu-ray players.

So while Toshiba championed disc-less playback after HD DVD failed, perhaps more out of frustration and a little bit of sour grapes, recent developments, particularly with Netflix integration into Xbox 360 and Blu-ray players, has meant that what they said back then might not be so far away.

I still await the day that I shall be able to purchase (not rent), store, catalogue and playback all my movies digitally, and do so in a legal manner without DMCA-cops busting through my door.

More:

Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

Toshiba says that HD is more than just Blu-ray, that things like SD cards, downloads are also HD. Which seems to support my theory that Toshiba is only getting into Blu-ray out of necessity and to support their future HD plans in relation to flash memory distribution (they own a lot of flash memory technology patents and factories).

More:

Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog

Comment

Working...