• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dr_ml422
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • May 2007

Originally Posted by admin
    As expected, someone has launched a class action lawsuit against Sony for removing the "Other OS" option in California:

http://kotaku.com/5526847/playstatio...opping-otheros
    Good luck w/Sony and all their lawyers. i almost ceertain after their response that they covered all possible angles before the update. anything's possible though. This is BS anyway really. I mean like they're millions of Linux users dying to get this working!
    SAMSUNG SH-S203B, SAMSUNG SH-S223F,

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Google is definitely our friend.

Comment

• drfsupercenter
      NOT an online superstore
      • Oct 2005

I hope that lawsuit wins. I want to see Sony pay for disabling Linux...

Mine's still not updated as well as I want to be able to use my PS3 Ubuntu. Works fine for me.
      CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
      Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
      My DVD Collection

Comment

• admin
        Administrator
        • Nov 2001

Both sides can make some quite valid arguments.

For users who based their purchasing decision on the PS3 being able to support Linux, it's not really fair for Sony to promote the feature and remove it when they don't need it anymore.

On the other hand, Sony can claim that users entered into an agreement when they purchased the console and that Sony can change functionality as they see fit. This policy has allowed a lot of new features to be added to the console, so the other side of the coin could see features removed.

This is actually quite an important court case, although I fear it won't be treated as such by the key players. Sony's argument would seem to make the PS3 merely a machine where you "rent" features from Sony, and Sony can limit the functionality of your machine at will. But the traditional thinking has always been that when you buy something, you buy the functionality and nobody can take that away from you, and it's certainly true for most consumer electronic devices.
        Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog

Comment

• dr_ml422
          Lord of Digital Video
          Lord of Digital Video
          • May 2007

Only thing though is that this isn't just a consumer electronic device. This is a service oriented media hub which is also bought for the services along with everything else. As you pointed out they exercised their right to add/remove functionality as is prolly 100% written into agreement regarding services/software etc... Most don't exercise their right though Sony did and as is always the case most just can't handle when the boat gets rocked. People get complacent when things are going their way and indignant when they don't.

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Comment

• shaka
            Hot!
            • Apr 2006

Well that didn't took long, expected though..

Comment

• dr_ml422
              Lord of Digital Video
              Lord of Digital Video
              • May 2007

Originally Posted by shaka
              Well that didn't took long, expected though..
              Just all looking for a quick buck! It's always about the $$$. If it wasn't there would be no monetary damages asked don't you think? Really Ubuntu and Linux lovers are really this worked up for principle alone? How much is it really for Linux support? What percentage of the PS3 can one say does Linux support have?

Comment

• Budreaux
                • Jan 2006

You are correct, it is all about the money, but it;s Sony looking for the money.

I agree, Sony, or any other manufacturer has the right to follow their agreement in changing functionality. However, if it was bought with the ability and understanding that it supports running another OS, then it should retain the ability to run Other OS. Changing the functionality and removing hte functionality are two completely different steps.

Change how the Other OS runs, but do not remove it after selling it as a main point of the unit.

If I buy a computer with an OS on it, I expect the ability to run that OS for the lifetime I own it. If the manufacture wants to add support or update my OS, fine, but they can;t remove it because it is "needed" to run the machine. Not everyone bought the PS3 for gaming......many bought it for a central media device or HTPC, which is another feature it was promoted as. So what then do those people do that bought it as such because it was advertised as such?

Sony is trying to fight piracy, I get that, but they can not do it at the expense of customers who are not using it for piracy, yet that is exactly what they have done. Sad thing is this will turn more honest people to the opposite side and they will run the custom firmware and in turn learn more capabilities of the machine and tend to do something they never would have beofer, if not forced to use it to retain the Linux capability.

Comment

• dr_ml422
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  • May 2007

Sony's looking not to lose $$$ not make any. This is really not a valid argument for anyone trying to chomp on Sony again. Let me ask a ? If they added a functionality where it supported Linux further would you still say there's a difference? Adding 1 would be considered a change though because it will favor the persons involved there would be no argument.

A main point not the main point. Again if they decided to do something about their Gaming function what they would be wrong too? How about if they later when Blu-ray becomes standard, and btw it is, they decide to totally make it a Blu-ray player including the up and coming 3D support? Is that bad too?

That buying a computer w/a OS example is really too radical. 1st it would never happen as that is total business suicide. 2nd a computer is not to my understanding considered a service correct? You need service to go online but that's it. You can actually run a computer w/out going online no? Also for the lifetime one owns it? Does not MS for example come out w/a new OS every 2 years or so? Maybe not now w/7's success, but don't they? So stopping support of say XP which btw is now basically happening, is that basis for a lawsuit for those that don't want to let go? Good luck on that one.

Bottom line Piracy is going to continue w/or w/out this non-support of Linux etc... This isn't the main Pirate landing is it? I mean I'm no Saint but there's virtually everything being Pirated these days. Even the Free DVDFab if I may post just as a example.

Yes the free DVDFab! Free!

So I'm not buying this outcry on the basis of "I really bought the PS3 because of its other OS function bit". How about some drama? That's 99.9% of the driving factor for anything. A lil drama w/Sony again! Sells newspapers and gets others outta their real problems for a while. Once the case is over it'll be a blip on a screen somewhere if that.

Hey, everyone has the right to do w/e if they can. I'm just one that doesn't waste any time on stuff like this unless I 100% know it's so wrong and should be addressed legally or w/e. Ttytt, I haven't lost a case yet.

Comment

• drfsupercenter
                    NOT an online superstore
                    • Oct 2005

If I buy a computer with an OS on it, I expect the ability to run that OS for the lifetime I own it. If the manufacture wants to add support or update my OS, fine, but they can;t remove it because it is "needed" to run the machine. Not everyone bought the PS3 for gaming......many bought it for a central media device or HTPC, which is another feature it was promoted as. So what then do those people do that bought it as such because it was advertised as such?
                    Yep, I bought it as a media center, I don't play any PS3 games and probably never will.
                    CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
                    Visit my website!!

My DVD Collection

Comment

• admin
                      Administrator
                      • Nov 2001

@dr_ml422: please keep the discussion civil, there's no need to attack fellow forum members.

For the record, I also only use my PS3 as a media hub/Blu-ray players, and it's a really good one. I never installed any Linux based media centers on it though, but I can see why people would be upset when Other OS was removed.

Sony did this because they don't want people to install emulators and they don't want to provide another access point for hackers that will eventually lead to the PS3 being able to play copied games. But it's all a bit premature, and heavy handed, as I'm sure Other OS could have been modified so that the media centers and legal applications can still work, while denying others that may violate copyright and other issues. Perhaps what Sony needs is an Apps store type system, that allows approved applications to be installed using the Other OS.

But Sony promoted (and still promotes) the PS3 using the "It only does everything" tagline, and heavily promoted the PS3 as being able to run Linux at launch, so this is another reason why people aren't happy with losing functionalities.

Comment

• dr_ml422
                        Lord of Digital Video
                        Lord of Digital Video
                        • May 2007

My bad admin. I just got carried away. It's that when there's a discussion then lets stay w/it. As you pointed out it's a media hub w/all the amenities. To say it will only be used for say Blu-ray is not sensible as well as just any single use. There's tons of other players/software that can do that for way less.

The PS3 wasn't $299.99 when it 1st launched. So just the price for single use imo is absurd.

So worst case scenario they are court ruled to give back a small fee like Amazon did? There's a fine line w/that too. How can the courts prove that all the rebates or w/e are to people that just wanted to use the other OS feature?

I can't see them being forced to implement something back that would contribute to another crime.

Comment

• drfsupercenter
                          NOT an online superstore
                          • Oct 2005

What crime? Nobody has done anything illegal using Linux on the PS3...

Sony's just a bunch of morons, enough said
                          CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
                          Visit my website!!

My DVD Collection

Comment

• admin
                            Administrator
                            • Nov 2001

Originally Posted by drfsupercenter
                            Sony's just a bunch of morons, enough said
                            Adding "Other OS" support was an invitation for others to create hacks and emulators, as well as the legal media center software. So either Sony were stupid to add this feature and then remove it, or the cynical amongst us might think Sony used it to "suggest" the possibility of these less than legal programs as a way to entice buyers, and then when sales improved, they couldn't wait to get rid of it.

It's a shame, because I think if hackers want to hack the PS3, they'll find a way to do it anyway. As for emulators, while it's nice to be able to use the PS3 to play old games, there are plenty of other devices that can do the same already. So really, this move only destroys the development of media center software, which is a shame because having a good third party media center software can really help the console in the long term.
                            Last edited by admin; 2 May 2010, 02:36 PM.

Comment

• Budreaux
                              • Jan 2006

Originally Posted by admin
                              Adding "Other OS" support was an invitation for others to create hacks and emulators, as well as the legal media center software. So either Sony were stupid to add this feature and then remove it, or the cynical amongst us might think Sony used it to "suggest" the possibility of these less than legal programs as a way to entice buyers, and then when sales improved, they couldn't wait to get rid of it.

It's a shame, because I think if hackers want to hack the PS3, they'll find a way to do it anymore. As for emulators, while it's nice to be able to use the PS3 to play old games, there are plenty of other devices that can do the same already. So really, this move only destroys the development of media center software, which is a shame because having a good third party media center software can really help the console in the long term.
                              This is exactly my point.
                              I do feel Sony has gotten to big for their britches in making this business move. One thing Sony needs to remember..... gamers are loyal to developers, but on the same rate, they will boycott a company and all their products with the same passion.

Comment

• Budreaux
                                • Jan 2006

Sony's looking not to lose $$$ not make any.
                                I'm assuming you mean with this removal decision only, cause Sony is definately in it to make money.

Let me ask a ? If they added a functionality where it supported Linux further would you still say there's a difference? Adding 1 would be considered a change though because it will favor the persons involved there would be no argument.
                                Absolutely there is a difference. By adding content and abilities, they help to ensure the longevity of their product, by removing previously installed capabilities or content is robbing it's consumers.

A main point not the main point. Again if they decided to do something about their Gaming function what they would be wrong too? How about if they later when Blu-ray becomes standard, and btw it is, they decide to totally make it a Blu-ray player including the up and coming 3D support? Is that bad too?
                                You're failing to make teh connection. You keep using examples of Sony adding content or features..... that is not taking away something you already sold a consumer.... I think it's to try and continue this aspect of the discussion.

That buying a computer w/a OS example is really too radical. 1st it would never happen as that is total business suicide.
                                How is this a radical example. I bought the computer with teh ability to run the current OS of the time... if a year later they removed the ability to run that same OS and forced me to upgrade to a new OS, would that not be taking away something I originally bought with the computer?

2nd a computer is not to my understanding considered a service correct? You need service to go online but that's it. You can actually run a computer w/out going online no?
                                Correct, but if the ability to run a service that provides on-line capability was removed from the computer, after it was bought, would you agree with that as an acceptable business move?

Also for the lifetime one owns it? Does not MS for example come out w/a new OS every 2 years or so? Maybe not now w/7's success, but don't they? So stopping support of say XP which btw is now basically happening, is that basis for a lawsuit for those that don't want to let go? Good luck on that one.
                                Again, you are confussing two variables completely.
                                I expect that computer to be "capable" of running that OS for the lifetime of the computer. I did not say i expect MS to support the OS for their lifetime. We all know there is a finite life span for support of an OS, we know it because it is written in the ToS. See where this is headed?

Bottom line Piracy is going to continue w/or w/out this non-support of Linux etc... This isn't the main Pirate landing is it? I mean I'm no Saint but there's virtually everything being Pirated these days. Even the Free DVDFab if I may post just as a example.

Yes the free DVDFab! Free!
                                DVDFab is not free, however there is a pirated (or cracked) version of each release that comes out. I used the cracked versions for a long time and once I saw how they continuously supported their product, I bought it.

So I'm not buying this outcry on the basis of "I really bought the PS3 because of its other OS function bit".
                                Not asking you to buy anything, I'm just merely expressing different viewpoints on the topic. If you read some of the responses to your post, you'll see a few members here did, indeed, buy it for that main purpose. I have not bought a PS3 though, I'm still too busy comprimising the XBox360 to be bothered with PS3s right now.

Hey, everyone has the right to do w/e if they can. I'm just one that doesn't waste any time on stuff like this unless I 100% know it's so wrong and should be addressed legally or w/e. Ttytt, I haven't lost a case yet.
                                The key there is "if they can"... this still remains to be seen. Though legally they may win the case, they will lose the battle because customer support will decrease and as we all know, you have to have customers to make money. Legally.

Comment

Working...