• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • PurpleDemon
    Digital Video Expert
    Digital Video Expert
    • Mar 2006

Filesonic disables file sharing

Today Filesonic disabled file sharing. If you own the files you can log in and download them directly.

This was done in response to the Megaupload seizure.

Fileserve began mass deleting premium accounts yesterday as well. I am sure this will be the norm after the demise of Megaupload.

It will be interesting to see how the future goes from now on.

• admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

I think the reaction is a bit extreme, although Filesonic are definitely on the "wanted list".

What these websites need to do is to fully comply with the DMCA, make it easy/fast for content holders to remove content, and then modify their business model so that it doesn't directly reward uploaders for making popular uploads. Also, target corporate users/services. Basically, take a look at what RapidShare has done (RapidShare managed to get itself off the MPAA's "notorious pirates" list last year, and has won several court cases - even though they still have lots of pirated content, they can still argue that they're their best to remove them).

File upload websites will never be completely free of pirated content, and will always, in some way, profit from it (even the likes of Amazon and Apple). They just have to be seen as genuinely fighting against copyright infringement (nothing in the law says they have the win the fight, which is what Safe Harbor is for).
    Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog

Comment

• drfsupercenter
      NOT an online superstore
      • Oct 2005

RapidShare has always been one of my favorite hosts to use... but they've gotten really obnoxious for free users.

While I have premium myself, I stopped using RapidShare to upload my files for people because they would have to essentially jump through hoops and wait long periods of time in order to get a download link.

What we need is a DMCA-compliant site that's actually CONVENIENT for free users, maybe just ad supported? MediaFire is the best one I've seen so far, and they actually DO gripe about copyrights, which is probably why they're still around. Shame the limit is 200MB though, I have some large files I have uploaded elsewhere...
      CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
      Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
      My DVD Collection

Comment

Working...