X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

Petition Asks White House To Investigate MPAA Bribery Claim

The MPAA's Chairman Chris Dodd is under pressure for statements made in response to the temporary demise of the movie industry support Stop Online Piracy Act (SOPA) and the Protect IP Act (PIPA).

Dodd warned those publicly coming out against SOPA/PIPA that the movie industry would not look upon their "betrayal" with kind eyes when it comes to future campaign donations. "Don't ask me to write a check for you when you think your job is at risk," Dodd warned.

But these very statements have caught the ire of the Internet public, already incensed by the movie industry sponsored SOPA/PIPA, which many have claimed was a direct attack on the Internet. And using resources which have already proved useful in the fight against SOPA, the Internet is fighting back against what they perceive as political corruption.

Using The White House's own petition website, already used previously to force the administration to state their position on SOPA, a new petition is calling for an official investigation into possible bribery charges against the MPAA's Chris Dodd.

The White House petition website requires each petition to have 25,000 signatures within 30 days before an official White House statement will be made on the petition. But with less than a week gone, the number of signatures on the "investigate Dodd" petition has already risen above the required 25,000, and is already within touching distance of 30,000, meaning the Obama administration will now definitely have to issue a statement on the issue.
    Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog
  • drfsupercenter
    NOT an online superstore
    • Oct 2005

Thank you for signing this petition. We appreciate your participation in the We the People platform on WhiteHouse.gov. However, consistent with the We the People Terms of Participation and our responses to similar petitions in the past, the White House declines comment on this petition because it requests a specific law enforcement action.
    Generic email reply I just got.

Looks like they're making excuses as usual.
    CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
    Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
    My DVD Collection

Comment

• admin
      Administrator
      • Nov 2001

Someone needs to reword the petition to call for a White House response to Dodd's comments and the issue of lobbyist money in politics, rather than an investigation.

Comment

• drfsupercenter
        NOT an online superstore
        • Oct 2005

That might work too.

I just signed it, I have no control over its wording unfortunately. I wonder if people would sign another one if they worded it better...
        CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
        Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
        My DVD Collection

Comment

• tigerman8u
          Lord of Digital Video
          Lord of Digital Video
          • Aug 2003

Investigate Chris Dodd and MPAA for bribery

https://wwws.whitehouse.gov/petition...-pass/DffX0YQvInvestigate Chris Dodd and the MPAA for bribery after he publicly admited to bribing politicans to pass legislation.
          Recently on FOX News former Senator Chris Dodd said (as quoted on news site TechDirt), "Those who count on quote 'Hollywood' for support need to understand that this industry is watching very carefully who's going to stand up for them when their job is at stake. Don't ask me to write a check for you when you think your job is at risk and then don't pay any attention to me when my job is at stake," This is an open admission of bribery and a threat designed to provoke a specific policy goal. This is a brazen flouting of the "above the law" status people of Dodd's position and wealth enjoy.

We demand justice. Investigate this blatant bribery and indict every person, especially government officials and lawmakers, who is involved.

Comment

• admin
            Administrator
            • Nov 2001

Hi tigerman8u. I moved your post to this thread as the news story had already been covered.

Unfortunately, the White House has declined to comment on the petition due to the petition asking for legal action.

Comment

Working...