X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

Hulu Mass Bans VPN Access on Copyright Concerns

Hulu has implemented a network wide ban on most of the IP addresses used by major VPN services, preventing many users from accessing the service.

Hulu had not made an announcement regarding the blockade, but it is very likely in response to concerns raised by copyright holders related to overseas users accessing the Hulu service via VPNs.

The unfortunate side effect of the blockade means that many U.S. subscribers who use VPNs to protect their privacy online are also finding out that they can no longer watch their favorite shows on Hulu.

At the current time, DNS geo-unblocking services appear to be unaffected, but this reprieve may only be temporary.

VPN firm Private Internet Access was disappointed in seeing Hulu's latest actions. Speaking to TorrentFreak Private Internet Access CEO Andrew Lee says the blockade leaves many of its customers in a tricky position.

"Private Internet Access exists to protect the privacy of netizens everywhere. Many of our customers leave their Private Internet Access accounts enabled 24/7/365. It is unfortunate that Hulu is blocking VPN service IPs," explained Lee.

A workaround already exists, says TorGuard’s CEO Ben Van Pelt, whereby users can sign up to a dedicated VPN IP.

"This ensures that no other user on the network has registered an account under that same IP address," Ben Van Pelt told TorrentFreak.
    Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog
  • drfsupercenter
    NOT an online superstore
    • Oct 2005

The solution is just for VPN providers to get new IPs.

It's a cat-and-mouse game, really.

Also, I wish the people behind sites like Hulu, Netflix and others realize that crap like this is exactly what fuels piracy... if it's easier for someone to pirate their favorite movies or TV shows than having to jump through hoops to watch it legally, then chances are they'll do it.
    CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
    Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
    My DVD Collection

Comment

• admin
      Administrator
      • Nov 2001

I don't think Hulu and Netflix mind all that much, it's the studios. Even though they're getting paid, they "believe" they can get paid more if people in other regions are forced to pay 2 or 3 times as much for the same content. And you're right, people will just pirate if they don't have an outlet like Netflix of Hulu Plus.

Comment

• drfsupercenter
        NOT an online superstore
        • Oct 2005

The main reason I'm not a Netflix subscriber is because 95% of movies I want to watch aren't available on it. It's great for TV, but I'm more of a movie buff.

I tried Hulu Plus with their 30-day trial, but there's no way I'm paying for a service that makes me watch ads, that seems counter-productive.

But yeah, I'm not faulting Netflix or Hulu themselves, but rather the MPAA as a whole for being stuck in the stone ages.
        CYA Later:

d̃ŗf̉śŭp̣ễr̀çëǹt̉ếř
        Visit my website!!

Cool Characters Make your text cool
        My DVD Collection

Comment

• admin
          Administrator
          • Nov 2001

The funny thing is that Hulu Plus is only really attractive to people outside of the US, those who don't get timely access to network shows that is shown free on television or with catch-ups available for free online. There's some basic cable stuff there too, which is also cheap to access in the US, but expensive or unavailable outside.

I think Hulu should really change their business model and start offering the service to overseas users (and this crackdown on geo-unblocking may actually be a sign they're planning to expand overseas).

Comment

• alanwade
            • May 2014

How To Access Hulu

Hi,
            I use PureVPN. No problems with any sites. I use it on my, phone, ipad, and computer. No issues, no logging, and a multitude of different country ips and mostly importantly great to watch hulu.

Comment

• admin
              Administrator
              • Nov 2001

Do you use a dedicated IP with PureVPN? That's definitely one workaround against these type of mass IP bans.

Comment

Working...