X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Oriphus
    Digital Video Technician
    Digital Video Technician
    • Aug 2003

Well im back from Jamaica and really tired after 20 hours travelling. Just checkin a few scores. It seems that Arsenal hammered Liverpool 4-2 and then demolished Leeds 5-0. Were they good matches? Manchester United beat Birmingham which is good, and Chelsea were beaten by Aston Villa meaning that we may take second place in the fight for 2nd.

However, Real Betis were beaten at home 2-0 by Real Mallorca and then drew with an in form Barcelona. Havent seen either match but it drops them down to 11th with not much hop of Europe...

I have to admit i was very surprised by Milan getting beaten 4-0 by Deportivo de La Coruna, but then i was also surprised by Arsenal beating Inter a while back. Not really surprised by Real Madrids performance, they are definitely in a slump and the scandle im hearing aout with David Beckham sounds interesting...Osasuna beating them 3-0 was surprising though, poor play be Real.

What ive just notcied now though is that Pompey have just beaten Man Utd 1-0??? What the hell? Is that a joke? The stats show United with 11 blocked shots, pretty impressive goal keeping by the sounds of it. Anyway another disappointment....
    http://www.dvd-backup.tk

Comment

• admin
      Administrator
      • Nov 2001

Welcome back, Oriphus. How was Jamaica?

It's been great for Arsenal in the league ever since that unfortunate game against Chelsea. Not just our results (7 goals for Henry in our last 2 home games), but also that of Chelsea and United. Chelsea have only picked up 2 points in 3 games, and United just lost to Pompey as you know. The 4-2 Liverpool match was probably the most important match for Arsenal this season. It sent the right message just at the right time to Chelsea, and they've responded likewise (ie. as if they know the league campaign is over). Liverpool was leading 2-1 at half time, but 2 goals in 1 minute ended the game for them in the second half, including probably the goal of the season where Henry starting from the half way line dribbled through the entire Liverpool defense to score the third goal.

United played poorly against Pompey today. If they play like this, then Millwall might just go on to lift the FA Cup. Now that would be funny

We're getting close to the league title, still needing 4 points to mathematically seal it. If Chelsea had lost today, we would get the chance to nick the title at White Hart Lane, and that would really have been nice (considering Spurs could find themselves fighting against relegation if they keep on losing, and if Leeds start winning).
      Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog

Comment

• Oriphus
        Digital Video Technician
        Digital Video Technician
        • Aug 2003

Thanks Admin, Jamaica was very nice. Very hot at around 32 degrees every day and you would get sun-burned very quickly. The place was amazing, thoroughly enjoyed it (bar the long travelling).

Yeah, i dont think anyone could think that Arsenal wont win the title. They deserve it as well because of their amazing record in the Premiership. What a great season they have had. Thats not to say United's season has been poor, but games like the one today just should not happen. United need to re-think they're strategies next season, and i think they will. I heard a few Liverpool fans mutter that this was the end of Uniteds era. I think that is being very premature. In fact, United are more likely than not to come back next season with a Premiership win.....
        Once we get Rio back and have him and Wes Brown as Central defenders with Silvesre as coverage (yes i would drop silvestre to have Brown) i think we will become defensively strong again. However, i think its more likely that we will see a few new faces in the Old Trafford camp next season. My guess, 1 good striker, one good midfielder and 1 good defender.

I do still think that United will lift the FA Cup, a small concelation to a poor alround finale to the season. Ah well, its all in the past as they say, Arsenal will enjoy their Golden badges next season, but we'll get them back

Comment

• MPS
          Digital Video Enthusiast
          Digital Video Enthusiast
          • Mar 2003

nice maaaahn and welcum back :>

mu for the second, no doubt

Comment

• Oriphus
            Digital Video Technician
            Digital Video Technician
            • Aug 2003

Yeah Wat Happenun Mon. Be a funny ting being back lol

I really hope so, it would be better to finish second than 3rd because of the automatic CL qualification. Barcelona match was fantastic tonight.

Its a pity Celtic went out mid week in the UEFA cup. I really fancied their chances this season. They will no doubt be up there again next season, even wothout good old Henrik

Comment

• MPS
              Digital Video Enthusiast
              Digital Video Enthusiast
              • Mar 2003

It's Chelsea vs Monaco and PORTO vs DePORTOvo time

damn hard to pick the winners. i have no idea at the moment. maybe monaco-deportivo final?

Comment

• admin
                Administrator
                • Nov 2001

Chelsea have just drawn against Middlesbrough at home, lost to Aston Villa away and then drawn against Everton at home. On this form, they deserve nothing less than a hiding from Monaco, but that's all on paper so anything could happen. Chelsea have lost Gallas, and more importantly, Duff to injury. If Monaco can beat Depor (something Arsenal always find impossible to do), then they can do a lot of damage Chelsea. But this is Chelsea's entire season on the line, so they will be up for it.

I have nothing much to say on Porto versus Depor, but Porto are the only team left that actually deserves to be in the Champions League, since they are domestic champions coming into this season. I think Depor will probably win over the two legs.

Comment

• Oriphus
                  Digital Video Technician
                  Digital Video Technician
                  • Aug 2003

It's Chelsea vs Monaco and PORTO vs DePORTOvo time
                  Isnt it DePORTIVO?

I think it will be Deportivo de la Coruna versus Monaco in the final with Deportivo taking the win. I dont think it really matters where a team is in their league table, as long as they perform in the CL it shouldnt matter. I think all teams, bar Porto (lol) deserve to win the CL by getting this far. However, i think Chelsea and Porto have gone as far as they are likely to go, Chelsea may possibly make the final, but i cant see them winning it. I think Monaco deserve the win the most, solely based on their predicament.

Monaco havent got anywhere near as much money as any of the other European clubs. Their squad is no where near the calibre of many of the big European clubs. Their Stadium (Stade Louis II or something) only holds around 20,000 people which is one of the lowest in Europian CL football. There coach was not allowed to sign any new players, had to get rid of some, but managed a few loan deals.

I think the two people to look out for are Ludovic Giuly and the amazing Fernando Morientes (maybe even Edouard Cisse if he plays - sub), who Real Madrid were stupid to let go on loan. I think they are going to really trouble the mostly strong Chelsea defence. Chelsea will need to hope that their star defender John Terry is on top form. If he is and Gallas and Bridge play, then Monaco will have a difficult task beating them. I believe that Crespo and Gudjohnsen will start for Chelsea, with Makelele and Lampard holding strong in midfield, they also will be difficult to beat.

What i see is a very defensive Chelsea playing careful possession
                  football, with Monaco happy to let them do it. I think Monaco are likely to play on the counter attack more often tonight than they normally do. My score prediction??

Monaco 2 - 1 Chelsea

Comment

• Oriphus
                    Digital Video Technician
                    Digital Video Technician
                    • Aug 2003

I was close - i though about 3-1 but decided it was too risky to say. Never-the-less another one of the great Chris' predictions comes true again lol. Monaco hammered and strange Chelsea side in the second match, even though Monaco were a man down and Chelsea shouldve been a man down. I thoroughly deserved victory for Monaco. I just hope that they can get the win at Chelsea or even a draw, or beaten by one goal and it would be amazing. What a treat it would be for Monaco to win the CL with the team they have.

Im sure Admin will be well happy with the result since it was Chelsea that put them out....

Man United won 2-0 tonight against Alan's Bolton. Well done boys, Louis Saha scored with Gary Neville getting his 5th? United goal in his entire career...

Comment

• admin
                      Administrator
                      • Nov 2001

I wanted to say that Monaco will win 6-0, but I didn't want to jinx it

Feel sorry for Ranieri, but he's getting the axe even if he wins the Champions League anyway. And his "tinkering" almost never works - I watched the last 3 Chelsea league games live (2 draws and a lost), and before as well, and the substitutions always seem strange and you can almost feel that the other team are glad that the tinkering has begun.

But Chelsea can still go through if they win the home game by 2-0, but I doubt they can keep a clean sheet against Monaco. Also, this is the first time this season that Chelsea have lost an away game in the Champions League!!

Comment

• Oriphus
                        Digital Video Technician
                        Digital Video Technician
                        • Aug 2003

Very true on losing an away game, but we all know how poor they can be at home. I really dont see Chelsea getting a 2-0 lead at home. I think that the result at Chelsea will be 2-1 to Chelsea or 2-2 with Monaco going on to win the CL title.

The tinker man really does out-do himself everytime he starts tinkering. He manages to mess it up time and time again. What starts like a good looking side, ends up a mess. All in all - Chelsea should have had a man sent off also, who will most likely be give a match ban - if not 3. This means he will be out, along with Damien Duff (possibly) and Claude Makelele for the return leg. Those are key players for Chelsea. Also, its worth noting that Fernando Morientes has scored more goals in this Champions League than any Real Madrid player - what a mistake Madrid made with him.

Now that i think about it, Raul has about 45 goals in the CL which is absolutely amazing figure. RvN is 2nd or 3rd with around 35 and i believe the next English team player is Henry with around 25.

Im going for a Monaco draw and through to the final

Comment

• MPS
                          Digital Video Enthusiast
                          Digital Video Enthusiast
                          • Mar 2003

DePORTOvo was an intented pun

gr8 display by monaco, what a fantastic game. shame on makelele for his stupid theatrical performance. desailly should be given red card as well. but justice was done. now urs meier may see the replay, and rethink his decision. it's one of those time when you feel the need for an instant replay available to the referree or a tech-ref sitting by a monitor and transmitting arguable decisions to the referee's ear (via mini headphone or sth). it works well in hockey, it should be used in soccer as well.

tody porto and coruna, i see a draw i think, but who knows?

Comment

• Oriphus
                            Digital Video Technician
                            Digital Video Technician
                            • Aug 2003

Actually, American Football and Rugby have the instant replays as well. Its just soccer for some reason. I think that they should be available for the ref to use as well. Its the obvious next step for soccer and i hope we will see it some time soon.

I think it will be a Deportivo win tonight. Nice pun by the way, i wasnt sure if you meant it like that

Comment

• MPS
                              Digital Video Enthusiast
                              Digital Video Enthusiast
                              • Mar 2003

yup. a draw and a poor game comapared to monaco-chelsea fixture. dissapointed by both teams with PORT in their name 'tactical chess' we call such games in my country.

Comment

• Oriphus
                                Digital Video Technician
                                Digital Video Technician
                                • Aug 2003

Aw feck a dead cow - Liverpool???????

Comment

Working...