• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • atifsh
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • May 2003

p4 3.0 fan too noisy

my pentium 4 3.0 fan runs quit loud, yesterday i installed friends p4 2.26 ghz pro and his system was so quite that i really stsrted to hate mine, specially when i do some real work or game it gets noiser.... soes this normal for 3.0 or my fan has some prob?
    Seems like as soon you buy somehing, v. 2 comes out 1.5 times as fast!..!
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

1) Have you cleaned it (and the innards of your system) recently? If not, you should.

2) The fan may be off balance

Comment

• admin
      Administrator
      • Nov 2001

I have a P4 3.2 and it's pretty quiet as well. Sometimes, it's due to the way the case is designed, which can either dampen or amplify the noise. I have a Antec Sonata case with the P4 and it's very quiet even though it has lots of fans in it, but my other Coolermaster case with an low clocked AMD and only the standard fans is very noisy. Are you sure it's the CPU fan (it's usually the smallest and quietest in the case), and not one of the other fans (northbridge fan, power supply fan)?
      Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog

Comment

• ziadost
        Super Moderator
        • Mar 2004

my fan is always noisy... i'm used to it now though

the only time when it sounds abnormally noisy is when the temperature in my room gets below around 15 degrees celsius. for some reason it makes a very loud noise for a few minutes

anyway, as others mentioned, its probably your tower case
        "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• atifsh
          Lord of Digital Video
          Lord of Digital Video
          • May 2003

system isnt too old processor that is, will check if its off balance
          casing seems tobe ok as my old athlonXP 2500+ doesnt had that problem.
          Seems like as soon you buy somehing, v. 2 comes out 1.5 times as fast!..!

Comment

• Enchanter
            Old member
            • Feb 2002

I highly recommend the Zalman CNPS7000B-AlCu. It is whisper-quiet and cools my CPU even at its lowest fan speed. Its affordability (AU$55 where I am) and ease of installation are worth mentioning too.

If your motherboard (and case) allows it, consider the 120mm Zalman CNPS7700-AlCu.

Regards.

Comment

• DIRTYHARRY77
              • Nov 2004

HP pavillion notebook fans (w/ P4s) are also very very loud. I can't take mine to class because it irritates my instructors. It came from the factory that loud. But I've never heard other notebooks come close to the noise of HP. I'll never buy another one that's for sure.

Comment

Working...