X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • cynthia
    Super Moderatress
    • Jan 2004

To setarip

I think you deleted the thread regarding Nero logs and media codes for -R discs - I couldn't find it.

So I add my thoughts here.

I do support your idea that the media code field is valid only for +R media and for -R media. There must be a bug or something else that has happend with that field lately. So it was a nice finding. I'll change my FAQs about burning errors.

I did some burnings with very old packages of media (over two years old and very dusty).

Even old 1x, 2x and 4x medias that previously had their mediacode in that field - no longer shows up there.

First I thought that it could be that the new faster discs x8, x12 and x16 was the reason for not showing up.

So the only way to know if the media code is supported by the firmware must be to open up the firmwares .bin or .exe file in a hexeditor.

The testing of my old and in my view crappy media such as Princos that I never before could burn faster than 1x (the discs are labeled 1-4x) now could be burned at 4x without errors on my new burner. Two years earlier such an attempt would give my a burning error.

Another thing that very often has been suggested is that when you use crappy media you should lower the output size from DVD Shrink from the default 4464 to something lower. This time my output size was higher - 4481.
    08:41:24 #12 Text 0 File DlgWaitCD.cpp, Line 260
    Last possible write address on media: 2298495 (510:46.45, 4489MB)
    Last address to be written: 2294303 (509:50.53, 4481MB)

08:41:24 #13 Text 0 File DlgWaitCD.cpp, Line 272
    Write in overburning mode: NO

08:41:24 #14 Text 0 File DlgWaitCD.cpp, Line 2339
    Recorder: _NEC DVD_RW ND-3520AW, Media type: DVD-R
    Disc Manufacturer: PRINCO -
    Disc Application Code: 64, Disc Physical Code: 193
    Did a CRC scan in DVDInfoPro and it looked ok. Also no problem with the playback.

So perhaps in many burning error reports - it's not entirely the medias fault but a crappy burner. Some burner brands are very often showing up in the posted error logs. Rebadged ones even more. Could also very well be that newer burners are better to handle 'crappy' media.

I'm just impressed that Princos can be burned so close to the edge and at the fastest speed. I tested 8 other 'crappy' brands and all worked very well with original firmware installed.
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

"I think you deleted the thread regarding Nero logs and media codes for -R discs"

Yes I did - because, as a result of the postings in response, I was satisfied that my speculation was correct

"I do support your idea that the media code field is valid only for +R media and for -R media."

I presume that this is a typo on your part. What I'm confident has been determined is that the lack of information contained in the "Media Specific" section of a DVD-R NERO log CANNOT be construed to mean the burner doesn't recognize the media...

I would hope that from now on, other posters and/or moderators will take this into consideration when analyzing NERO logs posted regarding burning problems...
    Last edited by admin; 31 May 2005, 02:22 PM.

Comment

• Alien Bay
      Always learning
      • Oct 2004

Did you ever see a -R burn log that had that section filled in?
      APOD

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

As I recall, only one partial (from "cynthia")...

Comment

Working...