X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • LT. Columbo
    Demigod of Digital Video
    • Nov 2004

Is Y'all a fishkeeper?

i have 2 aquariums, wondering if anyone here has a fresh/marine aquarium hobby. if so, whatta ya got?

"One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
    Columbo moments...
    "Double Shock" "The Greenhouse Jungle" "Swan Song" FORUM RULES
    "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."
    (An Exercise In Fatality, 1974)

• BR7
    He is coming to your little town!
    • Aug 2005

I used to be I had a 50 gal tank with angel fish and neons nothing that great.I have been thinking about getting into salt water fish I want to do more research on it cause it is a lot more pricey and way more advanced then what I was doing before
    Last edited by BR7; 28 Aug 2005, 01:20 PM. Reason: EDIT

My Blu-ray Collection

Comment

• anonymez
      Super Moderator
      • Mar 2004

wouldn't call it a hobby of mine, but a relatively tiny 30L tank with 4 goldfish and 2 crustations
      "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

• LT. Columbo
        Demigod of Digital Video
        • Nov 2004

br7, yeah i want a marine tank too, lot more dough, more maintenance. i'd like a true reef system with invertebatrates, corals and fish. gonna have to crack a few more cases before i can do that though

what crustations anonymez?
        "One day men will look back and say I gave birth to the 20th Century". Jack The Ripper - 1888
        Columbo moments...
        "You try to contrive a perfect alibi, and it's your perfect alibi that's gonna hang ya."

Comment

• clink
          theboss@clinks
          • Jun 2005

I used to breed kribensis until the kids came along. Was a nice hobby but too expensive and time consuming when you have a family.

Comment

• kevdriver
            Platinum Member
            Platinum Member
            • May 2005

Hey Columbo. I used to keep african cichlids. They're not salt water fish but very colorful never the less. You have to keep your aquarium water kinda brackish for them to really thrive. Used 4 powerheads with an undergravel filteration system and one outside filter that I put peat into to make their enviorment brackish for them. Had this all on display in a 125 gallon aquarium built into a wall in the basement rec room. Decided to remodel and out went the tank. Now that you brought it up, think I may look at getting back into it again........... just on a smaller scale maybe.... LoL
            Last edited by kevdriver; 29 Aug 2005, 06:00 AM.
            Oils well thats ends well.

Comment

• nwg
              Left *****
              • Jun 2003

I have two ponds. One with small coldwater fish (several goldfish and carp). The other have several Japanese Koi and other big carp

I had others but they died recently (jumped out of the pond during the night). I have since lost more due to a massive and hungry heron.

I know have a big net over the pond.

This is the biggest fish I have now. It is a Ghost Koi.

Comment

• LT. Columbo
                Demigod of Digital Video
                • Nov 2004

wow, i knew you people did more than digital video!

@nwg

very impressive specimen. i wish i had room for a pond, and you have 2?

@clink

the kribs are very nice, had some myself about a year ago. but i lost them to disease

@kevdriver

african cichlids are my next "fresh" venture. those fish from lake tanganyika and lake malawi are some of the nicest on the planet in my opinion. your right about the water, they need a hard water with a ph of 8-9 most of them. i hope i can afford a tank to please me and them (looking for a 200 GAL)
                Columbo moments...

Comment

• DiscoInferno
                  • Apr 2005

@ NWG. I had ghost koi . Also eaten by a heron. But they were black and white mottled, and only half the size of yours, around 2 years old.

Comment

• nwg
                    Left *****
                    • Jun 2003

Originally Posted by DiscoInferno
                    @ NWG. I had ghost koi . Also eaten by a heron. But they were black and white mottled, and only half the size of yours, around 2 years old.

The Ghost Koi were in the small pond when I moved here 10 years ago. The pond isn't that deep and they grew really big. The second pond was dug out for the Ghosts. The pond is over a metre deep.

Comment

• DiscoInferno
                      • Apr 2005

About the same size as mine was(the pond). At the time i was in somerset and there were herons every morning in my garden, all queing up for the fish. After the koi got eaten i gave up on big fish, now i just have newts and frogs, ha!

Comment

• nwg
                        Left *****
                        • Jun 2003

Some more fish pics.

Mirror Carp.

Golden Orfe.

Second Ghost Koi.

Comment

• tigerman8u
                          Lord of Digital Video
                          Lord of Digital Video
                          • Aug 2003

I had ten aquariums
                          1-150 gallon
                          1-90 gallon
                          4-55 gallon
                          2-30 gallon
                          1-29 gallon
                          1-10 gallon for quarintining new saltwater fish and hatching and raising brine shrimp
                          will look for some pics to post if ex didn't take them all

Comment

• BR7
                            He is coming to your little town!
                            • Aug 2005

Originally Posted by LT. Columbo
                            br7, yeah i want a marine tank too, lot more dough, more maintenance. i'd like a true reef system with invertebatrates, corals and fish. gonna have to crack a few more cases before i can do that though

what crustations anonymez?
                            I think he means crustaceans I think they are shellfish crabs and such
                            Last edited by BR7; 29 Aug 2005, 10:02 AM. Reason: error

My Blu-ray Collection

Comment

• anonymez
                              Super Moderator
                              • Mar 2004

lol yeah they are some kind of shellfish, will try to find a pic soon. but how often does a guy spell "crustaceans"
                              "What were the things in Gremlins called?" - Karl Pilkington

Comment

Working...