Clear All
  • llcooldon
    • Nov 2004

DVD Format war looms

DVD Format War Looms
    09.02.05 Total posts: 1

How do you think this will impact us?

By Lucas van Grinsven, Reuters
    BERLIN— Chances looked slim that consumers will be spared a DVD format war, as the backers of one standard said on Friday there was no common ground for a unified format and it was on track for a market launch within a year.

ADVERTISEMENT "If we want a unified standard, it has to be better than the sum of the parts. We would like to find something that's better in the other standard than ours, but we haven't found it," said Frank Simonis, a spokesman for backers of the Blu-ray standard.

Speaking on the sidelines of the IFA consumer electronics trade fair, Simonis said the Blu-ray association was ready to lay down the specifications of the higher-capacity DVD format in the spring of 2006.

The rival HD DVD camp has recently had to push back its launch into the New Year. "We're no longer lagging behind," said Simonis, who is also strategic marketing director at the optical storage unit of Philips Electronics.

Lions Gate Backs Blu-ray DVD Technology
    Universal Music Backs Sony's Blu-Ray
    Blu-Ray DRM Plans Released
    Blu-ray: Upstart with a Growth Path
    TDK Shows Off 100-GB Blu-Ray Disc
    At stake is the multibillion dollar market for DVD players, PC drivers and optical disks. Blu-ray promises higher capacity DVD disks (up to 50 Gigabytes) that can store high definition films and better interactivity and security.

The HD DVD camp, on the other hand, claims it has a cheaper technology compatible with current DVD and CD players.

Blu-ray is backed by the majority of electronics makers, including Sony, Matsu****a, Samsung, Philips, Dell, Hewlett-Packard, Apple and Hitachi.

The HD-DVD camp consists of Toshiba, NEC Corp and Sanyo Electric as main hardware vendors.

The battle between the two camps has become intense after a failed attempt this spring by several of the main Japanese electronics companies to bring together the two standards.

HOLLYWOOD PICKS ITS WINNER

The support of the Hollywood studios and television producers, crucial partners who will have to print pre-recorded disks with movies and TV series, has been more evenly spread and many have held their options open.

However, studio owner 20th Century Fox said at IFA it had chosen Blu-ray after its backers improved security features that will prevent DVD piracy hurting the industry.

"We talked to both formats and asked them: 'What are you going to do about content protection?' We asked them to step up their content protection in a serious way, and the members of Blu-ray association won," said Andy Setos, president of engineering at the studio which is owned by News Corp.

He also said that production costs of Blu-ray are "competitive" and that the format is interoperable with existing DVDs and CDs formats.

Hollywood is suffering from rampant piracy, because the initial DVD standard that was put together exactly 10 years ago had been rushed to market and lacked features to prevent unauthorized copying and playback.

"DVD is not good. It isn't secure, the capacity is too low, the bit rate is too low," Simonis said.

In China in particular, many films are reproduced on DVDs illegally and sold at a dollar apiece on street corners. "We sell 20,000 DVDs a year in China, and they're priced at just $4.99. Just to prove a point," Setos said.

Yet, even the piracy underlines the success of DVD. It has been the fastest-adopted technology in consumer electronics history and has generated billions of euros in royalties for the inventors, a broad base of consumer electronics companies including firms now divided over its successor.

The fight for license income may yet hurt the interests of consumers who face two disk formats which do not play back in all devices, invoking memories of the VHS-Betamax war for the VHS standard, or more recently the rewritable DVD standard.

On top of that, consumers should expect punishment for tinkering with their Blu-ray players, as many have done with current DVD players, for instance to remove regional coding. The new, Internet-connected and secure players will report any "hack" and the device can be disabled remotely.

"A hacked player is any player that is doing something it's not supposed to do," Setos said, adding the jury was still out if regional coding would be maintained or scrapped.

The controversial regional code prevents DVD disks that have been bought in one continent to play on devices elsewhere.
  • Chewy
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2003

"The HD DVD camp, on the other hand, claims it has a cheaper technology compatible with current DVD and CD players. "
    this is a key point

"In China in particular, many films are reproduced on DVDs illegally and sold at a dollar apiece on street corners. "We sell 20,000 DVDs a year in China, and they're priced at just $4.99. Just to prove a point," Setos said."

the point: the rest of the world is being gouged

Comment

• nwg
      Left *****
      • Jun 2003

The HD DVD and Blu Ray war isn't going to happen for a long time for most people.

Basically, it comes down to the average person will not care for either one. I would be very surprised if they will be able to tell the difference between DVD and HD-DVD/Blu Ray unlike the jump from VHS to DVD. A lot of people just use a £20 DVD player on a small 4:3 TV. They will have no interest in suddenly dumping their DVD collection for a new format that might not last. DVD is the biggest and quickest format taken up by people (a lot quicker than CD).

I have over 1000 DVD's and I would be mad to think "DVD is rubbish now and replace it with HD-DVD/Bu Ray". Also, I would need lots of money to even play the format as I would need a new TV/projector and a HD player.

However, five years in the future I may decide to get new films on HD-DVD/Blu Ray. I will then still watch my old DVD's as I do now on a backward compatibe player.

Comment

• BR7
        He is coming to your little town!
        • Aug 2005

I may be wrong but wasnt it said the Blu Ray players would play both blu ray and standard DVDs?

My Blu-ray Collection

Comment

• nwg
          Left *****
          • Jun 2003

Originally Posted by BR7
          I may be wrong but wasnt it said the Blu Ray players would play both blu ray and standard DVDs?
          They would be mad not to do both.

Comment

• Chewy
            Super Moderator
            • Nov 2003

my crystal ball says this is what's coming first, NOT BLU-RAY

Comment

• tigerman8u
              Lord of Digital Video
              Lord of Digital Video
              • Aug 2003

@ rbrtpl that's good reading and makes alot of sense. Holding capacity and compatibility.

Comment

• BR7
                • Aug 2005

Originally Posted by rbrtpl
                http://www.toshiba.co.jp/about/press/2005_05/pr1002.htm

my crystal ball says this is what's coming first, NOT BLU-RAY
                Dont forget the Playtstation 3 will be out early next year and it will use Blu Ray so right off the bat a blu ray player will be in a lot of peoples homes
                <TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width="100%" border=0><TBODY><TR><TD>difference between Blu-ray and HD-DVD? </TD></TR><TR><TD><TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=510 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD width=250>Parameters

</TD><TD width=130>BD-ROM </TD><TD width=130>HD-DVD-ROM </TD></TR><TR><TD>Storage capacity (single-layer) </TD><TD>25GB </TD><TD>15GB </TD></TR><TR><TD>Storage capacity (dual-layer) </TD><TD>50GB </TD><TD>30GB </TD></TR><TR><TD>Laser wavelength </TD><TD>405nm </TD><TD>405nm </TD></TR><TR><TD>Numerical aperture (NA) </TD><TD>0.85 </TD><TD>0.65 </TD></TR><TR><TD>Protection layer </TD><TD>0.1mm </TD><TD>0.6mm </TD></TR><TR><TD>Data transfer rate </TD><TD>54.8Mbps (1.5X) </TD><TD>36.5Mbps (1X) </TD></TR><TR><TD>Video compression </TD><TD>MPEG-2

MPEG-4 AVC
                VC-1

</TD><TD>MPEG-2

MPEG-4 AVC
                VC-1

</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3>

</TD></TR><TR><TD>Parameters

</TD><TD>BD-R </TD><TD>HD-DVD-R </TD></TR><TR><TD>Storage capacity (single-layer) </TD><TD>25GB </TD><TD>15GB </TD></TR><TR><TD>Storage capacity (dual-layer) </TD><TD>50GB </TD><TD>30GB </TD></TR><TR><TD>Laser wavelength </TD><TD>405nm </TD><TD>405nm </TD></TR><TR><TD>Numerical aperture (NA) </TD><TD>0.85 </TD><TD>0.65 </TD></TR><TR><TD>Protection layer </TD><TD>0.1mm </TD><TD>0.6mm </TD></TR><TR><TD>Data transfer rate </TD><TD>36.5Mbps (1X) </TD><TD>36.5Mbps (1X) </TD></TR><TR><TD>Video compression </TD><TD>MPEG-2

MPEG-4 AVC
                VC-1

</TD><TD>MPEG-2

MPEG-4 AVC
                VC-1

</TD></TR><TR><TD colSpan=3>

</TD></TR><TR><TD>Parameters

</TD><TD>BD-RE </TD><TD>HD-DVD-RW </TD></TR><TR><TD>Storage capacity (single-layer) </TD><TD>25GB </TD><TD>20GB </TD></TR><TR><TD>Storage capacity (dual-layer) </TD><TD>50GB </TD><TD>32GB </TD></TR><TR><TD>Laser wavelength </TD><TD>405nm </TD><TD>405nm </TD></TR><TR><TD>Numerical aperture (NA) </TD><TD>0.85 </TD><TD>0.65 </TD></TR><TR><TD>Protection layer </TD><TD>0.1mm </TD><TD>0.6mm </TD></TR><TR><TD>Data transfer rate </TD><TD>36.5Mbps (1X) </TD><TD>36.5Mbps (1X) </TD></TR><TR><TD>Video compression </TD><TD>MPEG-2

MPEG-4 AVC
                VC-1

</TD><TD>MPEG-2

MPEG-4 AVC
                VC-1

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>http://www.blu-ray.com/faq/#1.5

Also blu ray says it will be able to do <!--StartFragment -->8-layer discs (200GB)

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>
                Last edited by BR7; 6 Sep 2005, 02:34 PM.

My Blu-ray Collection

Comment

• nwg
                  Left *****
                  • Jun 2003

Originally Posted by BR7
                  Dont forget the Playtstation 3 will be out early next year and it will use Blu Ray so right off the bat a blu ray player will be in a lot of peoples homes
                  Don't forget that the TV needs to be HD ready as well. I suppose it is more likely with TV's in the US. In the UK, I bet most people don't even know what HD even is.

Comment

• BR7
                    • Aug 2005

Not true HD is optonal for the PS3 it will stll have hook ups for Standard TV same goes for the Xbox 360

My Blu-ray Collection

Comment

• Chewy
                      Super Moderator
                      • Nov 2003

Blu-ray should prevail in the end, but at what cost? Unless it becomes the
                      betamax of the next era, vbg!

Comment

• nwg
                        Left *****
                        • Jun 2003

Originally Posted by BR7
                        Not true HD is optonal for the PS3 it will stll have hook ups for Standard TV same goes for the Xbox 360
                        It still needs a HD display/TV to work with Blu Ray. That is the only way see anything in HD.

Comment

• BR7
                          • Aug 2005

I am sure it gives you the option to view blu ray movies in standard cause how else would you play the games as they come on blu ray discs as well.But maybe the movies are another story on the other hand they could maybe do it like they do the progressive scan feature flip it on if you can use or leave it off if you cant

My Blu-ray Collection

Comment

• nwg
                            Left *****
                            • Jun 2003

Just found this.

On top of that, consumers should expect punishment for tinkering with their Blu-ray players, as many have done with current DVD players by, in some instances, removing regional coding. The new, Internet-connected and secure players will report any "hack" and the device can be disabled remotely.

Comment

• BR7
                              • Aug 2005

Maybe thats where Microsoft got the idea or vise versa

My Blu-ray Collection

Comment

Working...