The Mumps a illness almost forgotten about until NOW! The Outbreak!

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • photo_angel2004
    Queen of Digital Video
    Queen of Digital Video
    • Jan 2004

The Mumps a illness almost forgotten about until NOW! The Outbreak!

WOW I thought this viral infection was gone for good but it seems we have a major outbreak in the Midwest! For years now we American’s have taken for granted that we are safe from such viral infections since we have had the vaccinations. But we may have been fooled. How safe are we? More important how effective are those more then 20 year old vaccinations holding up?
    And how much better is the new one?

CDC director Julie Gerberding said last week that the outbreak, which she described as the worst in the United States in 20 years, is expected to continue spreading. Click me to learn more!

Q.Why did the mumps vaccine fail?

A. Who said it failed? We now have a few hundred cases of mumps reported in the Midwest, and, like presidential elections, it all seems to have started in Iowa.

It is not clear where the first few cases came from, i.e., how the virus was introduced. But we found out that a lot of our young adults did not have complete immunity. But notice I wrote "complete immunity."

We tend to look at disease as a yes or no phenomenon; either you have an ear infection or you don't; either you have heart disease or you don't; and either you have mumps or you don't.

There are likely lots of mild or barely symptomatic cases, many gray areas. While it is true that there are clinical criteria for whether you have mumps or not (the most relevant is ChF, or the Chipmunk Factor), it does not appear to be the sometimes severe disease so many had in the pre-immunization era. This is not your father's mumps.

So what about this present outbreak?

Multi-state Mumps Outbreak

The state of Iowa has been experiencing a large outbreak of mumps that began in December 2005 (1). As of April 12, 2006, 605 suspect, probable and confirmed cases have been reported to the Iowa Department of Public Health (IDPH) (IDPH, unpublished data). The majority of cases are occurring among persons 18-25 years of age, many of whom are vaccinated. Additional cases of mumps, possibly linked to the Iowa outbreak, are also under investigation in eight neighboring states, including Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, and Wisconsin (CDC unpublished data, April 14, 2006).

Milwaukee

More on the Milwaukee outbreak

To all how are living in the USA Mumps has been a somewhat forgotten about virus, for years we have herd of no outbreaks. Now its back, and as eash month passes more and more cases are being confirmed. The numbers in the case reports are not very accurate due to the fact that those numbers only reflect on the cases that have been confirmed with lab test. These lab. test are very expensive and for those that have no health inssurance the tests are not taken thus the cases not confirmed. According to my Family Doctor there have been well over 1,000 cases in the Milwaukee county area maninly near the UWM college campus.

Few cases have been confirmed in Waukesha County, but my son and I had to be the lucky ones. The illness that has been taking my son and I down has now been confirmed that we did in fact contract the Mumps Virus.

*** If you live in the Midwest... Please do your self the favor or knowing how to protect your self against this illness and how to tell if you have it. ***

A lot of cases are minor but many are much more sever, rule of thumb.. The older you are the worse it may hit you.

Today’s trip to the Doctor was out of this world, this was the first time we were greeted at the door... by a nurse with face masks for both my son and I... The first time I have ever seen the entire medical staff including the front desk receptionist. We were taken in right away NO waiting today, LOL. We now have live in Quarantine from the outside world. No job interviews, no school, no shopping. No human contact of any kind with anyone for 5 more days!

Now that we have been confirmed with having the mumps the health departments from, city, county and state have been phone interviewing me. They want to know every place we have been. Every person we have seen. What school, what church, every, everything so that everyone was have had contact with in the past 4 weeks can be notified that they have been exposed! I have never had to go through such an ordeal, and I am hoping You don’t ever have to either.

Before this week I had no idea this was even going around, so I am starting this thread in the hopes that all that are living in the Midwest are aware!

If you have not been vaccinated do it! If you are over 30 the vaccine that you may have had may not be working any longer. My son and I have both been vaccinated and we both still got it.

This virus is NO JOKE people! Get the facts! Know how to recognize it!
    True it may be a mild illness to some but not for all.

Last edited by photo_angel2004; 13 May 2006, 01:41 PM.

IMGburn ** ** Nero 6.6.0.18 **Intelli Type Pro 6.1 **
  • IndianPrincess
    Wild~N~Crazy
    • Dec 2005

@PA the reason we are seeing these diseases return, is because most Americans face having either insufficient or no health insurance. Most children are not receiving the requried immunizations. It is required in the state of Delaware to be current on immunizations before the start of kindergarten or if your child goes to daycare.
    IndianPrincess

Smile and the world smiles with you.
    sigpic

Comment

• photo_angel2004
      Queen of Digital Video
      Queen of Digital Video
      • Jan 2004

Thats not it, shots are FREE to low income families. Funded by the Federal Gov. ALL of the 50 states offer FREE vacinations to all low income familes. Schools do not allow kids to attend with out having had them. Its not a choice its manditory to have the shots.

The state of Iowa has been experiencing a large outbreak of mumps that began in December 2005 (1). As of April 12, 2006, 605 suspect, probable and confirmed cases have been reported to the Iowa Department of Public Health (IDPH) (IDPH, unpublished data). The majority of cases are occurring among persons 18-25 years of age, many of whom are vaccinated. Additional cases of mumps, possibly linked to the Iowa outbreak, are also under investigation in eight neighboring states, including Illinois, Indiana, Kansas, Michigan, Minnesota, Missouri, Nebraska, and Wisconsin (CDC unpublished data, April 14, 2006).

And it the people that are older that are getting it for the most. My son did have his shots 2 of them. He has it. there are new strains of it. Read the links be safe.

The reason for that post was to let people know just becasue you have had the shots that doesnt mean your safe.

Awareness I the key.

I want everyone to be Healthy.
      Last edited by photo_angel2004; 13 May 2006, 01:38 PM.

IMGburn ** ** Nero 6.6.0.18 **Intelli Type Pro 6.1 **

Comment

• Derree
        Digital Video Expert
        Digital Video Expert
        • Jul 2005

The problem is since we have been innoculated to the bug they start to mutate...so its almost as if we have become too healthy so the virus's are mutating to counter the antibodies we have devolped...so we are ending up with stronger and stronger bugs..almost super bugs...
        sigpic

Turn down the suck...Turn up the
        good
        -------------------------------------------

Comment

• a2j3
          If it aint broke, don't fix it
          • Feb 2006

Hello All

We have had 5 cases right here in kansas. Pretty scary stuff.
          sigpic

Comment

Working...