• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • vw56german
    Digital Video Expert
    Digital Video Expert
    • Jun 2005

Suggestions on a replacement Dvd Player

Well my Cyberhome player went belly up last night, suddenly it cannot tell if a disc is there. It trys to read for a while and then gives up and says insert disc. So I guess I need to find a replacement. I purchased this player because it played every format I could think of, had progessive scan, and ouputs for surround sound, and was priced (at the time) below $70. Does anyone have a suggestion on a player that covers most formats and has surround outputs? I am looking for something value priced, because the current system does not warrant a high end player, but I want to keep the surround aspect.

As a side note. Have any of you opened up a Dvd player? I opened mine up and got quite a chuckle when I saw the guts of the operation. It consisted of a power supply, a logic board, and........DVd drive complete with 4 pin power supply connector and IDE cable. Too bad I cant just install a different drive and be back in business. (yes i did have a Dvd rom drive sitting around, and i did try it, no joy. i figure its just like installing a new drive in a pc, and you have to have the right drivers. does make me wonder if a person could update firmware on players drive.)
  • Chewy
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2003

have you tried cleaning the laser in the rom drive?

Comment

• vw56german
      Digital Video Expert
      Digital Video Expert
      • Jun 2005

Originally Posted by Chewy
      have you tried cleaning the laser in the rom drive?
      While I had it open I did puff some "caned air" in to it to blow out any dust or debris that might have been in there. It is acting like the laser head is trying to seek over and over, I can hear it moving back and forth. What worries me is when I had tried the spare Rom drive I had, I could see the laser on inside it. (the drive tray face plate was off.) and on the players drive I cannot see the laser lit up at all. I fear it may have met it demise.

Comment

• uufta
        Digital Video Expert
        Digital Video Expert
        • Dec 2005

I like my Magnavox MRV660 DVD Player/Recorder under $100 at Best Buy, the surround sound I am not sure of, but i run it all thru my cable box and I think that would output surround sound if I needed it.

Comment

• Chewy
          Super Moderator
          • Nov 2003

what was the jumper set for on the spare rom drive?

Comment

• Kabuchan
            Digital Video Enthusiast
            Digital Video Enthusiast
            • Apr 2006

I've never had a problem with a Sony product. We have a Sony, 5 disc changer, plays dvd, cd, and cd video. It has all the outputs for our Bose surround too - and its 7 yrs old.

Check this one out from Best Buy
            That was Zen, this is Tao

My Gallery

Comment

• vw56german
              Digital Video Expert
              Digital Video Expert
              • Jun 2005

Originally Posted by Chewy
              what was the jumper set for on the spare rom drive?
              On the original drive it did not have a jumper at all. I did try it with all 3 settings and removed, but the spare drive would not read.

Comment

Working...