X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • BR7
    He is coming to your little town!
    • Aug 2005

Impressive for an electric car :)

It appears that Audi will be the latest car manufacturer to jump on the electric sports car craze with their R-Zero concept car, which is a mix between an “Audi TT, Nissan 350Z and an Infiniti G35 Coupe.”
    Not a bad mix.
    Obviously, the thing that will set the R-Zero apart from its sports car contemporaries is the fact that it will be powered by an electric engine. Inevitably, the R-Zero may end up more like the Tesla Roadster than any of the previously mentioned cars.
    The R-Zero will be powered by nearly a ton and a half of lithium-ion batteries, which will push the overall weight of the vehicle to nearly 5,000 pounds. Amazingly, the R-Zero will still be able to achieve a top speed of well over 250 miles per hour.
    While the R-Zero is still in the concept phase (meaning it’s going to be a long time before this vehicle is ready for production) it is anticipated that it may be ready for release for the 2010 model year. By then, cars like the Tesla Roadster will have been out for a few years, so Audi will be able to gauge the real demand for high powered electric sports cars.
    While it’s fairly obvious that many people find these concept vehicles to be interesting and nice to look at, it remains to be seen if any of this interest will translate in to purchases.
    It seems to me that these car manufacturers would be better served working on electric cars that are affordable and practical as opposed to expensive and high end.

Credit Story to Daily Fuel

My Blu-ray Collection
  • locoeng
    Who Farted?
    • Dec 2005

How do you fit a ton and a half worth of batteries in a car that size? Looks killer though.

"I refuse to have a battle of wits with an unarmed person. It's not fair to you and no challenge for us."
    Walt Kelly

Comment

• katzdvd
      Lord of Digital Video
      Lord of Digital Video
      • Feb 2006

What the heck is that thing?!?! http://www.seriouswheels.com/2006/20...A-1280x960.htmI will take my '72 gas hog Cuda over that anyday! Sorry, I'm old school...

Comment

• toomanycats
        Digital Video Expert
        Digital Video Expert
        • Apr 2005

As a conveyance of electricity batteries suck. Hydrogen is the most efficient way to go. With the advent of the new technology hydrogen tanks, this car is already obsolete. The batteries are not "green", as is nothing else about this car. Hydrogen can be produced at home by either house current or if your progressive, solar panels and windmills. I don't think you could charge a ton of battteries that efficiently. It's a joke. My 450 SL Mercedes weighs 3700 lbs and it's a pig. It would be a good candidate for hydrogen conversion because of the port injection system, my 1972 MG would be a even better candidate. My point is their are a lot of overweight cars out there already. Why pay big bucks for one. Why waste all the R and D on something like this?

Comment

• Kabuchan
          Digital Video Enthusiast
          Digital Video Enthusiast
          • Apr 2006

Well I'll be in line for an electric car when it can fit 2 kids and a full grown mastiff! LOL
          That was Zen, this is Tao

My Gallery

Comment

• BR7
            He is coming to your little town!
            • Aug 2005

I have always favored the all American Muscle Car but for some reason this one caught my eye I thought 0-62 mph in under 3 seconds was kinda good for an electric car.As for the looks I thought it kinda resembled the Batmobile in one of the Batman movies.If anything it would be great way to complete your Batman ensemble for Halloween
            Last edited by BR7; 20 Oct 2006, 12:03 PM.

My Blu-ray Collection

Comment

• katzdvd
              Lord of Digital Video
              Lord of Digital Video
              • Feb 2006

I thought it kinda resembled the Batmobile
              It does at that! Actually, the looks are nice, its' just the price tag that comes with this "new" tech stuff that turns me off the most. I could imagine a $250 garage bill just for an oil change on that thing!

Comment

• toomanycats
                Digital Video Expert
                Digital Video Expert
                • Apr 2005

Electric car

It seems every year some car manufacturer comes up with some ultra unobtainable electric car. Remeber this one the Eliica. Last years entry from Japan.
                Attached Files

Comment

Working...