Anyone else noticing how slow net is today?

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • dr_ml422
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • May 2007

Anyone else noticing how slow net is today?

This www is pathetic today. Anyone else notice how slow it's been? It's slow from all angles whether downloading or not. Right now a driver download is upto only 2% and it's been about 1/2 hour. Jeez.
    SAMSUNG SH-S203B, SAMSUNG SH-S223F,

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Google is definitely our friend.
  • NightTran
    King of Digital Video
    King of Digital Video
    • Aug 2005

it may be where you at or which server you have, mine is fine
    sigpic

Comment

• dr_ml422
      Lord of Digital Video
      Lord of Digital Video
      • May 2007

I had to cancel the driver download. It was only at 6% since I last posted. doc is xperiencing same thing.

Take the suggestions and follow the directions. The results will speak for themselves.

Comment

• NightTran
        King of Digital Video
        King of Digital Video
        • Aug 2005

I guess the rabit does its job for me
        sigpic

Comment

• doctorhardware
          Lord of Digital Video
          Lord of Digital Video
          • Dec 2006

It is slow here too, I'm South of Chicago.
          Last edited by doctorhardware; 30 Apr 2009, 01:52 PM.
          Star Baby Girl, Born March,1997 Died June 30th 2007 6:35 PM.

Comment

• PurpleDemon
            Digital Video Expert
            Digital Video Expert
            • Mar 2006

Good Here in Central Utah. Had a sluggish download from HP this morning. Fine since.

Comment

• admin
              Administrator
              • Nov 2001

A tracert can be a good way to diagnose where the slowdown may be occurring. Open a command prompt window (Start -> Run -> "cmd") and type in :

tracert www.google.com

(this does a trace route to google, replace with the website that seems slow to you if you're only experiencing slowdowns for a particular website)

This will start the trace and it will show you the response time at each hop. If one particular hop has a high "ms" rating or it times out completely (has a * instead of a "ms" rating), then that's where the slowdown is.

If it's your ISP's server that's causing the slow down, then it will probably slow down all websites. Otherwise, the slowdown may be isolated to a few selected websites because they all happen to get routed through the same (slow) server. If it's not your ISP, then sometimes changing your proxy or DNS servers can cause a different route to be used instead.
              Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog

Comment

• soup
                Just Trying To Help
                • Nov 2005

It's okay in the Great White North.

Comment

• doctorhardware
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  Lord of Digital Video
                  • Dec 2006

I did that here I had a lot of drop outs or would not complete the route. Today the download speed is a ok. I have no idea of what the actual problem was.
                  Star Baby Girl, Born March,1997 Died June 30th 2007 6:35 PM.

Comment

• dr_ml422
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    • May 2007

Originally Posted by admin
                    A tracert can be a good way to diagnose where the slowdown may be occurring. Open a command prompt window (Start -> Run -> "cmd") and type in :

tracert www.google.com

(this does a trace route to google, replace with the website that seems slow to you if you're only experiencing slowdowns for a particular website)

This will start the trace and it will show you the response time at each hop. If one particular hop has a high "ms" rating or it times out completely (has a * instead of a "ms" rating), then that's where the slowdown is.

If it's your ISP's server that's causing the slow down, then it will probably slow down all websites. Otherwise, the slowdown may be isolated to a few selected websites because they all happen to get routed through the same (slow) server. If it's not your ISP, then sometimes changing your proxy or DNS servers can cause a different route to be used instead.
                    I'm keeping this in mind. I had a few words w/Verizon DSl because I was suppose to be upgraded to 1 mbps a while back. They never really did, and when I noticed this slowdown which affected all sites I called them. They never gave me a real explanation just a e-mail of tips on how to troubleshoot. They then called and asked if everything was ok and that they appreciate my business.

Well they should as I'm locked in for a year and Time Warner's no better, and Fios hasn't reached my residence. So basically they're fos, and I just have to make do which really isn't that bad generally, but a faster DL time would come in handy.

I did notice my ethernet connection on my I/O plate doesn't secure the cable so this also could have added some grief. Now I almost have to force the cable in to lock. I'm thinking RMA before it breaks or really goes bad. I tested w/2 different cables, and both didn't lock on my build, but did w/my Dell. So it's the connector. PITA these luxury problems sometimes.

Comment

Working...