X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • j_jewell
    • Feb 2003

Intricate Problem

Hi all,

I have some DVDs, which are not copyrighted (purposely so that they can be copied). I have a Sony DRU500ax (supports +/- RW and +/- R). I copied one of the DVD's contents to my hard drive (AUDIO_TS and VIDEO_TS directories). I then proceeded to paste both directories onto the DVD. All files appear to be in the exact same order on my +RW disc that I copied to, as they are on the original.

When I attempt to play the DVD in my settop player (RCA RC5220P -- which supports +RW discs), it briefly flashes an exclamation point with an error message (too fast for me to see what it says), and then acts as though there is nothing in the player.

This is hopefully enough information, and thank you in advance for your assistance.
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

Are you able to play, from the hard drive, the copied version of this DVD with a software DVD player such as WinDVD or PowerDVD?

Comment

• j_jewell
      • Feb 2003

Yes

I can play from the copied dvd with PowerDVD on my PC just fine.

Comment

• Batman
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • Jan 2002

Try a different brand of -/+r/rw

Comment

• j_jewell
          • Feb 2003

If that were the issue...

...the dvd player would never recognize that specific brand, right? I ask, because I have made other DVDs, which consisted solely of mpeg files and the DVD player read the disc fine.

Comment

• Batman
            Lord of Digital Video
            Lord of Digital Video
            • Jan 2002

Its possible that the dvd player may not particularily like the brand you are using...as I diagnostic test you may want to try another brand (e.g. verbatim).

What software did you use to burn the dvd? DVD decryptor provides some basic dvd burning capabilities.

Comment

• j_jewell
              • Feb 2003

In my last reply, I said that this player has worked fine with these exact same discs before (Verbatim +RW). So, it shouldn't be different now, should it? The only difference between then and now is the data that is on the discs -- MPEGs work fine, Copied off DVDs (Audio_TS, Video_TS, etc.) do not.

Comment

• Batman
                Lord of Digital Video
                Lord of Digital Video
                • Jan 2002

Are you able to play the disc you burned with a software dvd player on your PC?

Comment

• j_jewell
                  • Feb 2003

See answer to the question above:

Are you able to play, from the hard drive, the copied version of this DVD with a software DVD player such as WinDVD or PowerDVD?

Comment

• setarip
                    Retired
                    • Dec 2001

"I then proceeded to paste both directories onto the DVD."

Perhaps you should try using DVD burning software, such as NERO...

Comment

• j_jewell
                      • Feb 2003

On the money...

I think you can't just paste the exact files you need onto the +rw disc, because it is somehow then causing the disc to say "I am a data disc" when it is read. I downloaded the Nero and it worked like a charm.

Thanks again for the help setarip!

Comment

Working...