Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • xcross
    • Aug 2004

authoring problem.

Okay, I have a legal copy of a dvd backed up onto my computer. It was converted into an avi of about 700 mb. I have been trying to make a back up copy of it for a couple of weeks now and am having zero luck.

My question is this. Can a 700mb avi fit onto a dvd-r. If so, what do I need to do exactly to get it on there. I have tried different conversions, and can still not get it to fit. Any help would be amazing at this point. If this is in the wrong section, I apologize.

Thanks in advance. If more information is required, please let me know.
  • ormonde
    Digital Video Explorer
    • Dec 2003

"My question is this. Can a 700mb avi fit onto a dvd-r."

Easily. Are you trying to just "Backup" (or burn) the AVI onto a DVD-R, or are you attempting to "Convert" it to another video format?

Comment

• setarip
      Retired
      • Dec 2001

One set of procedures (other posters may/probably will suggest alternative methods) would be:

1) Use "TMPGEnc" (or "TMPGEncPlus") to convert the .AVI (DivX-compressed or otherwise) to compliant MPEG2-for-DVD format - Use "TMPGEnc's" DVD wizard/template to accomplish this

2) Use "TMPGEnc DVD Author" (a different program than "TMPGEnc") to easily create the required additional DVD files and structure (and chapters and a menu, if you wish)

**If the combined filesize of the DVD "package" written to your hard drive is greater than 4.37Gb, use DVD Shrink (or similar) to compress

If your O/S is either Win2000 or WinXP, TMPGEnc DVD Author can also burn your DVD. Otherwise, use NERO to burn in "DVD-Video" mode
      (As an alternative to "TMPGEnc DVD Author", you could use "DVDLab")

Let us know of your success ;>}

Comment

• xcross
        • Aug 2004

thank you very much, I am going to try this now.

Comment

• setarip
          Retired
          • Dec 2001

"thank you very much"

My pleasure ;>}

Comment

• xcross
            • Aug 2004

(Easily. Are you trying to just "Backup" (or burn) the AVI onto a DVD-R, or are you attempting to "Convert" it to another video format?)

Sorry I was a bit unclear about that, I am trying to burn a copy of it onto a dvd r. Each time I attempt this, the file size is way to large to burn to a dvd r...... 700mb turns into about a 6 gig dvd file.

Comment

• ormonde
              Digital Video Explorer
              • Dec 2003

"700mb turns into about a 6 gig dvd file."

Then use "DVD Shrink" or similar transcoding program to compress it so the project will fit onto a single DVD (r, rw) disk as setarip indicated.

Comment

• xcross
                • Aug 2004

once again thanks, and I will let you guys know how it goes.....appreciate y'alls time.

Comment

• ormonde
                  Digital Video Explorer
                  • Dec 2003

"appreciate y'alls time."

Glad (We) could be of help

Comment

Working...