Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • XrayDuke
    • Dec 2004

? faulty media vs. bad encoding

I've ran into a strange problem with a movie only backup of the movie "Elf". About a third of the way through the movie I start getting large blocks and lockup of the disc. I can skip chapters and it works fine towards the end of the movie. I ran DVD Info Pro on the Disc and it showed all green. Most of the time when I have problems it is at the end of the movie and it usually is cheap media at the cause. has anyone ran into to this before? I am using Ritek 4x DVD+R and used DVD Shrink 3.2 and DVD Decripter to create the Disc. My question is could I have had a problem with encoding with DVD Shrink since DVD Info Pro checked out ok. I watched the original disc instead and it is fine but don't want the kids to ruin it so I am going to try again to backup.
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

"a third of the way through the movie I start getting large blocks and lockup of the disc."

Does this happen when playing the burned DVD on BOTH your PC and a standalone DVD player, or only one of the two?

Comment

• XrayDuke
      • Dec 2004

Happens on both the PC and on a Toshiba RD-XS32 and a Apex AD-2600. I checked the original again and it played fine. I ran DVD Shirk again and burned another disc and had the same problem in the same area. I am going to take the original disc back and exchange it and try again. I will update on the final results.

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

"Happens on both the PC and on a Toshiba RD-XS32 and a Apex AD-2600...burned another disc and had the same problem in the same area."

Sounds like you've got a batch of bad media - or your burner is faulty.

Have you tried burning a DIFFERENT DVD title AFTER the problems with "Elf", to see if it exhibits the same behaviour?

Comment

• XrayDuke
          • Dec 2004

Looks like maybe the original was somehow bad. I took it back and exchanged for new disc. After going through the same backup process and using the same blank media the backup works fine. I even backed it up a couple of time to make sure and it works. I never have arn into this but I guess there was enough of a problem on the original even when new and no scraches to cause problems.

Thanks for your feedback on this. I have been a constant reader of this forum but this is the first time I have needed to post.

Comment

Working...