Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • TypeSH
    • Sep 2002

Encoding with subtitles on screen?

I have a couple of anime DVD's that I want to encode into Divx format. Is it possible to encode the subtitle english translations with the video data (so the subtitles show up regardless of which player its played back on)? How would I do that?

I'm using smartripper/flaskMPEG (0.594)/ and the latest version of virtualdub.

also...

what are the differences when encoding with the following codecs, divx low-motion, divx 4.12, divx 5.0.2? which would you guys recommend and why? I'm looking for overall quality first, then file size 2nd (to be 700/1400MB); encoding time does not matter to me.
  • Enchanter
    Old member
    • Feb 2002

I have a couple of anime DVD's that I want to encode into Divx format. Is it possible to encode the subtitle english translations with the video data (so the subtitles show up regardless of which player its played back on)? How would I do that?
    You would be looking into embedding the subtitles into the video itself. Both Virtualdub and Flask allow you to do this.
    When frameserving to Virdualdub, you need to use the filter Vobsub.
    Flask gives you the option when you open the DVD files.

what are the differences when encoding with the following codecs, divx low-motion, divx 4.12, divx 5.0.2? which would you guys recommend and why?
    Both 3.11 and 5.02 will give you the quality worth yearning for (as long as you do 2-pass encoding). 4.12 does not yield good quality and has been superseded by the better 5.02.
    To be able to do 2-pass encoding using 3.11, you need to use nandub, a modified version of Virtualdub. You can do 2-pass encoding using 5.02 in most video encoders, including Virtualdub itself.
    I'd recommend that you use 5.02, being easier to learn than the more complex nandub. Once you have learned how to work with the codec (5.02), then you can try out nandub (3.11) and see which one suits your taste better. Both codecs are good and it is hard to rank one being completely superior than the other one.

Comment

Working...