X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • yesti
    • Nov 2002

weird frame rate and blockiness

Hello,
    I ripped the Godfather Part 1 and encoded it like I always did with flaskmpeg 0.6 and divx 5.02 at 29.97 fps. The audio was terribly out of sync and I couldn't do a thing to fix it (interleave, skew). Then I noticed in the flaskmpeg control panel 'detected fps' was FILM 23.976! So I encoded at 23.976 and the audio syncs perfectly. But now I have huge blocks in the video that I can't seem to get rid of. Any suggestions as to why the fps would be so weird and then this blockiness? I must have spent 24+ hours encoding total to be back at square one. Thanks!
  • yesti
    • Nov 2002

Forgot to add I'm encoding at 352 x 288 and ~1300 kbps 2-pass so I don't think its a low bitrate issue.

Comment

• Enchanter
      Old member
      • Feb 2002

I have no idea why your video would suffer from blocks given the combination of low-resolution and high bitrate that you have chosen. I'd probably blame it on the inferior resize filter that is implemented in Flask (even its bilinear resize filter still makes the resultant video hard to compress). I'd more likely move on to better programs though. Having said that, GordianKnot crosses my mind as the next best thing you can have a try at and I'm positive it won't disappoint. If you need help on how to use it, a guide is available at the top of this forum section.

Comment

• yesti
        • Nov 2002

OK, I will try the guide. Hopefully not too many changes since I'm using NTSC. Thanks for the quick reply!

Comment

• Enchanter
          Old member
          • Feb 2002

You'll find that the change is for the better.

Comment

• yesti
            • Nov 2002

got it to work, nicely synched from beginning to end, perfect size of 1.35 GB to fit two cds.

had a weird problem at first, if you dont install divx 3.11 the divx3 and divx5 tabs do not appear when you go to encode, so there is no way to select an audio file then go back and encode the video with that audio stream. deleted the reg keys and program folder, reinstalled and it worked just like in the guide. someone probably figured that out earlier, but you can spend hours reading the many posts here. flask is a little simpler, but when something goes wrong it really messes up. thanks!

Comment

• Enchanter
              Old member
              • Feb 2002

You're welcome.

Comment

Working...