X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • knituslacertae
    • Jan 2003

Can you tell the bitrate of DivX files?

Hello all,

I'm just wondering if there is a utility out there that will analyze a DivX video file, discern the version of the DivX codec used, analyze the audio data and calculate the bitrate that was used to encode the video?

The reason I ask is because often when I'm converting video (or removing commericals or something), when I re-encode, I want it to look about the same, but if I found the file somewhere, I'm totally unaware of the bitrate used. I've been able to guess rather closely just by looking at the video, but I'm sure there's a utility or something I haven't heard of. I don't see a reason why it wouldn't be possible to calculate the bitrate.

Thanks in advance, everyone,
    --knitus lacertae
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

"or removing commericals or something"

If you would use VirtualDub to accomplish this editing, you won't have to re-encode (or guess at bitrates):

1)Load your original (DivX-compressed or otherwise) .AVI into VirtualDub
    2) Set BOTH "Video" and "Audio" to "Direct Stream Copying"
    3) Move slider to the starting point of the scene you wish to delete
    4) From the "Edit" dropdown menu, select "Go to next keyframe"
    5) From the "Edit" dropdown menu, select "Set Selection Start"
    6) Move slider to the ending point of the scene you wish to delete
    7) From the "Edit" dropdown menu, select "Go to next keyframe"
    8) From the "Edit" dropdown menu, select "Set Selection End'
    9) From the "Edit" dropdown menu, select "Delete frames"
    10) Save with a new filename

Comment

• knituslacertae
      • Jan 2003

Wow, thanks for the fast response. =)

Thanks for the VirtualDub info, I was wondering why sometimes the direct stream copy would "choose" to include clips in the stream copy that I had designated to be cut. It must be the keyframe issue because I did everything else that you mentioned.

As for finding out the bitrate, I'm still wondering if this is possible. Because for reasons other than "removing commercials," I've wondered this same thing. Occasionally I'll see a video with which I really like the quality and am impressed by the filesize and want to know the bitrate to use the same one. This way I don't have to "test" which rates look best for a given video... things like that.

Plus I'm just curious if such a program exists. (If anything, it'll give me a project to work on myself.)

Thanks again,
      --knitus lacertae

Comment

• Enchanter
        Old member
        • Feb 2002

Re: knituslacertae

GSpot

Comment

Working...