• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • secotelli
    Gold Member
    Gold Member
    • Dec 2002

i lost myself in divx space...

i just met with a guy who has 1200 movies and he had made 99% of his own movies... and he told me to encode a dvd with vidomi is much better and easier.. I always used Gordian Knot.. and after i talked with Uncas I started to make my movies in ogm format. but now i doubt about which encoding program i should use after i talked with this guy.. i wonder which one you guys use...
    another thing is he said in vidomi, it calculates the different bitrates for each scene.. so does this make the quality better or what?? and he also said to make movie with dual audio, makes the quality less.. told me to put the second audio separately.. does that make any difference to put separately or to put in video?? since in both ways it uses the same audio size... i wanna have your opinions...
  • Enchanter
    Old member
    • Feb 2002

another thing is he said in vidomi, it calculates the different bitrates for each scene.. so does this make the quality better or what??
    Doesn't sound any different from 2-pass encoding process, which is available from within GordianKnot, or for that matter, most recent DivX and XviD codecs.

and he also said to make movie with dual audio, makes the quality less.. told me to put the second audio separately.. does that make any difference to put separately or to put in video??
    Too much bother and space required.

One, for dual audio, you need to reserve more space for the extra audio information and naturally less for the video information. This is fine if your movie spans over at least 2 CDs or more, but simply attrocious if you are doing it on 1 CD.

Two, if you have the second audio separate from the video file, how are you going to view the movie with the said audio track? Are you going to mux them (by copying the datas to HD first and then loading them into Virtual/nandub) and remove the muxed file at the end of the viewing? Nah, I'm not into troubling myself that far.

i just met with a guy who has 1200 movies and he had made 99% of his own movies
    Have you actually seen his whole collection or was he only bragging those numbers to you? I don't personally see the point of ripping that many movies unless the reason is pure simple greed.

Comment

• Batman
      Lord of Digital Video
      Lord of Digital Video
      • Jan 2002

You'll ultimately have to do your own tests if you want any satisfactory answer to your question Sectolli

However, from what I have seen, I see no reason to adopt Vidomi over GKNOT at this stage.

Comment

• secotelli
        Gold Member
        Gold Member
        • Dec 2002

no, i havent really seen his collection, but i see no need to lie.. why would he lie to me??

anyway what i understood from your messages, i better continue with gordian knot.. am i right?

Comment

• Enchanter
          Old member
          • Feb 2002

Originally posted by secotelli
          no, i havent really seen his collection, but i see no need to lie.. why would he lie to me??

anyway what i understood from your messages, i better continue with gordian knot.. am i right?
          Sometimes, the need to brag can overcome one's logical thinking.

Should you continue with GordianKnot? I suggest you give this Vidomi a try and see how it compares with the result from GK. Then you can judge on your own which program is worth keeping.

Comment

Working...