Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • inman
    • Dec 2003

Problem: Xvid AVI filesize very large than calculated

I wanted to encode an MPEG-1 video file of size 600 MB using VirtualDub in Xvid 1.0 Beta 2 codec in 2-pass. I wanted the size to be 220 MB with audio at 40 Kbps stereo. Since the video length is about 1 hour, the Xvid file size as obtained from Mini Calc was 205546.

Using these settings, when I encoded, the file size of the final avi file was about 335MB. The Max overflow improvement and Max overflow degradation was set to 60% at that time. I tried changing it to 20% and result the same.

Any Idea?
  • Enchanter
    Old member
    • Feb 2002

Try reducing the video resolution and using a softening matrix like H.263 (if you haven't done so)...

Comment

• inman
      • Dec 2003

I used H.263. Where is the option to change resolution. Anyway the file was originally 352x288 and I cropped it to 348x188.

Comment

• Enchanter
        Old member
        • Feb 2002

Try "1-pass, Quality-based" processing and set the quality as low as possible (so that you end up somewhere near your target filesize).

Regards.

Comment

• inman
          • Dec 2003

But I need the best quality, which can be obtained in 2-pass only. In the previous versions of Xvid, 2-pass gave precise output. But what happened to the latest version?

Comment

• Enchanter
            Old member
            • Feb 2002

Just give it a try and see whether the resulting video can go lower than 335MB. If it does, it's time to go back to the 2-pass method, this time using a lower target filesize than the original 205546. Check that the audio bitrate is correctly set at 40kbps too.

Regards.

Comment

Working...