Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • madoka
    • Feb 2002

FlaskMPEG 0.6 won't read subtitles in VOB

I admit I'm a newbie, but I've read most if not all relevant FAQs / guides, and did a few searches on the forum before asking this question. The bottom line is that please pardon me if the answer turned out to be trivial, for I've done my best in trying to find the solution myself.

I've ripped a section of the DVD using SmartRipper, and have tried to encode it to DivX using FlaskMPEG. Flask reads audio and video streams fine, but the subtitles were lost.

If I have Flask open the IFO file instead, then the subtitles shows through fine, but then I'm forced to encode the whole DVD instead of just a section of it; Flask gave an error if the complete set of VOB files weren't present with the IFO file.

So, is there a way to encode a portion of the DVD, with sutitles intact, with FlaskMPEG? If not, what other tools can I use?
  • khp
    The Other
    • Nov 2001

With flask 0.6 u can just use the "|_ and "_|" buttons to select the range u want to encode, click add job, select the original and click delete.

Alternativly u could just encode the whole thing and the cut out the part u don't want with virtualdub.

Or u could just do the encoding in virtualdub with subtitles through vobsub.
    Donate your idle CPU time for something usefull.
    http://folding.stanford.edu/

Comment

• madoka
      • Feb 2002

Originally posted by khp
      With flask 0.6 u can just use the "|_ and "_|" buttons to select the range u want to encode, click add job, select the original and click delete.
      Gee, now I'm glad that I've placed the disclaimer

Alternativly u could just encode the whole thing and the cut out the part u don't want with virtualdub.
      In fact, that's what I tried first. But it took my computer the whole day to do it! And the result turned out to be less than satisfactory. So I'd rather test out the settings using a 2 min clip first before encoding the whole disc.

There's also the fact that audio gets out of sync, which is a pain to fix...

Or u could just do the encoding in virtualdub with subtitles through vobsub.
      AFAIK, VirtualDub doesn't read MPEG2 files, so that would mean I'd have to decode the VOB to uncompressed video before using VirtualDub. Though HD space isn't a problem, I'd still rather not do that.

About VirtualDub, for some reason it's having trouble opening the DivX files I made; it complained that it couldn't decompress the audio track. I used LameACM as my audio encoder. I noticed that VirtualDub assigned "0055" as the format ID for Lame, where as FlaskMPEG assigned "85." I suspect this is the culprit, but couldn't prove it. I've found several utilities that can modify the FourCC code of AVI files, but not this format ID.

Comment

• khp
        The Other
        • Nov 2001

Originally posted by madoka
        AFAIK, VirtualDub doesn't read MPEG2 files, so that would mean I'd have to decode the VOB to uncompressed video before using VirtualDub. Though HD space isn't a problem, I'd still rather not do that.
        Ok I guess I could have been more clear on that, when using virtualdub or nandub for DVD transcoding u have to use either avisynth or vfapi (guides on both can be found here).
        Donate your idle CPU time for something usefull.
        http://folding.stanford.edu/

Comment

Working...