Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • humanbomb
    • May 2002

crashing & wrong bitrate

i am trying to convert an mpg1 file to divX to save room on hard drive...i have used Flask and Virtual Dub, divX low motion & 128kbs for audio...using a bitrate calculator for a 149min movie it sez around 748kbs to fit on a 80min CD...

however, when it is finish, it was once 604Mb & another time 300Mb...both were shit quality...both prgrams crash & Virtual Dub warns me about using hacked versions of divX & mp3...

what am i doing wrong??
  • khp
    The Other
    • Nov 2001

Re: crashing & wrong bitrate

Originally posted by humanbomb
    i am trying to convert an mpg1 file to divX to save room on hard drive...i have used Flask and Virtual Dub,
    I don't think this is possible with flask, but virtualdub should do nicely.

Originally posted by humanbomb

divX low motion & 128kbs for audio...using a bitrate calculator for a 149min movie it sez around 748kbs to fit on a 80min CD...

however, when it is finish, it was once 604Mb & another time 300Mb...both were shit quality...both prgrams crash & Virtual Dub warns me about using hacked versions of divX & mp3...

what am i doing wrong??
    Yes filesize prediction is somewhat problematic with divx3.11 in virtualdub. To get more usefull results with divx3.11 you must use nandub. Your other option would be to use divx4/5 in 2-pass mode with virtualdub.

You might also want to add some filters such as temporal smoother, to reduce the amount of video noise.
    Last edited by khp; 21 May 2002, 06:28 AM.
    Donate your idle CPU time for something usefull.
    http://folding.stanford.edu/

Comment

• techno
      Digital Video Master
      Digital Video Master
      • Nov 2001

yup, nandub 2passes is a good idea.

Also, if you don't want to do a 2pass then use a DIVX bitrate calc and apply to other encoders (not flask)

Techno

Comment

Working...