Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • SleeperService
    • May 2002

Flask/divx4 encoded file sizes

I am quite new to encoding and everything i know is from nickys guides.

I am trying to encode gladiator onto a single 80min CD. I`m using flask v0.6 with the divx 4 fast motion codec. To reduce artifacts i`m using 384x288 size. The problem is whatever datarate i chose on the codec, the size and quality of the movie remain unchanged ( approx 470mb size). I have tried to increase the resolution and this does increase the file size, but again the quality remains unchanged. It seems to me that something is overriding the datarate so that it always comes out the same. I`ve tried up to 4000kb/s and it still comes out as 470mb for a 120min movie!

PLease tell me if i`m missing something cos i`m a bit confused
  • UncasMS
    Super Moderator
    • Nov 2001

divx 4 fast motion codec
    there is no such thing as fast motion in divx4 or 5

only divx3 had two separate codecs.

judged from what you complain about you did use DIVX3 fast motion.

imho it is crap anyway.

use a two pass encoder in order to get decent quality (above all, you're aiming at a lower quality anyway as it'll be a single cd rip)

thus fast motion would be the worst choice from my p-o-v.

for a 1cd rip i'd advise you to use gordianknot 0.26beta with the latest divx 5.02 codec!
    this combo is quite simple and the final quality will be much better than what you get out of divx3 fast motion and flask!

for the software and a guide go to www.doom9.org
    Last edited by UncasMS; 24 May 2002, 02:21 AM.

Comment

• khp
      The Other
      • Nov 2001

Assuming that you are in fact using divx3.11 fast motion codec.

This is perfectly normal, the fast motion codec uses a very high minimum compression level, which makes filesize prediction impossible, and low motion scenes look like crap.

In general the fast motion codec is only useable for music videos and movie trailers.

For encoding entire movies the low motion codec is much better.

But to get best possible quality you should use a two pass encoding method. In flask this is only possible with divx4/5/xvid.
      Donate your idle CPU time for something usefull.
      http://folding.stanford.edu/

Comment

• SleeperService
        • May 2002

cheers

much better with the divx 5 codec, thanks! I`m still not sure if i was using the v3 codec, as flask still assures me that i`m using v4 fast or slow motion, weird?

Comment

Working...