Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • griz
    • May 2002

Choppy Video

I encoded "not another teen movie" and the video gets really choppy almost 3fps in some points. I don't know what the problem is. I encoded "BLADE" before perfectly. When I play the vob files of "not another teen movie" in media player or poewrdvd the are smooth as the DVD. Just when i encoded them they came out terrible. Anyone have any ideas? I have it set at default resolution 720x480 (i believe) and 23.9 fps. Seems flask and mpeg2avi give me the same choppyness.
  • Enchanter
    Old member
    • Feb 2002

You should do crop & resize on the video. Crop removes the unnecessary black bars around the movie (which otherwise will take up additional bitrate) and resize will (in most cases) allow you to shrink the video.

Resizing to a lower resolution is necessary. First, it allows slower systems (Sub-GHz) to play the video without much trouble and 'choppiness.' Secondly, the amount of bitrate you assigned to the video may not be enough for the default resolution of 720x480, resulting in picture warming and macroblocks. Resizing to 640x() or lower (depending on the bitrate used) will allow you to get optimum quality.

p.s. I trust the choppy parts occur in fast-motion scenes, correct?

Comment

• griz
      • May 2002

Originally posted by Enchanter
      You should do crop & resize on the video. Crop removes the unnecessary black bars around the movie (which otherwise will take up additional bitrate) and resize will (in most cases) allow you to shrink the video.

Resizing to a lower resolution is necessary. First, it allows slower systems (Sub-GHz) to play the video without much trouble and 'choppiness.' Secondly, the amount of bitrate you assigned to the video may not be enough for the default resolution of 720x480, resulting in picture warming and macroblocks. Resizing to 640x() or lower (depending on the bitrate used) will allow you to get optimum quality.

p.s. I trust the choppy parts occur in fast-motion scenes, correct?
      I'm not sure but it seems random. I noticed it more when the camera would pan across a scene. I reinstalled a much of codecs and encoded about 2 minutes of it looks good so far. Gonna do the whole movie and I'll see how it is in the morning.

Comment

• Enchanter
        Old member
        • Feb 2002

Hopefully it turns out well. My advice on cropping & resizing still stands though.

Comment

Working...