Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • kollalfa
    • Jul 2002

Problems with playback from CD

I've burned a divx to CD with Cinepak Codec and MPEG Layer-3 audio codec, but it won't play properly when read directly from CD. From HD it works fine. The problem is that this is a promo-cd for my band, and it's kind of stupid if you have to install the movie onto your harddisk in order to watch it without problems. Is there any software than can improve a CD's playback? Or could this be a codec problem. Usually I use a better codec, but I wanted to use Cinepak because it's implemented in Windows Media Player. Any suggestions?
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

1) Do you have the DMA turned on for your CD drive?

2) The Cinepak codec is "ancient". If you don't want to use a high-compression DivX codec, at least use a more recent Indeo codec, or perhaps consider converting to either MPEG-1 or MPEG-2 format.

Comment

• kollalfa
      • Jul 2002

I tried the DMA thing...now my CD drive doesn't work...Anyway - do you really think a better codec will make a difference when playing the movie directly from CD?

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

"do you really think a better codec will make a difference when playing the movie directly from CD?"

Yes - many are far better compression and "lower overhead"...

I hope you turned OFF your CD-ROM's DMA again - Is it, perchance, an older Yamaha drive (that specifically DOESN'T function with DMA turned on)?

Comment

• kollalfa
          • Jul 2002

Thanx

Thanx a lot for the information. I will now try another Codec.

Comment

• setarip
            Retired
            • Dec 2001

Let us know of your success ;>}

Comment

Working...