I get an virus message when i open a DIVX downloaded from mirc.

Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Haggen
    • May 2002

I get an virus message when i open a DIVX downloaded from mirc.

Hi, i was downloadin a divx from mirc, i have downloaded some before from there.

When mirc prompts if i want to open it when the donwload is done i get a message like this:

"The file '[apf]_shin_tsubasa_j_oav_2.avi' may contain programs or macros. Opening it may cause damage to your computer, or may install a virus or trojan on your system."

I ignored that message and try to open it with Windows Media Plyer and i cant open it, WMP close it self.

Like i told you before the encoding group are nice people and i dont think they deliver a virus, because i have downloaded divx from them before and i had no proble at all.

My question is: is there a way to fix this avi? any software or anything? Please Help me on this.

Thanks
  • Enchanter
    Old member
    • Feb 2002

I ignored that message and try to open it with Windows Media Plyer and i cant open it, WMP close it self.
    mIRC was just being polite in reminding you that you stand the chance of getting a virus whenever you are downloading something off the net or someone (which is always the case). As for WMP closing itself, does it just close suddenly, or was there any error message generated?

Open the file in Virtualdub and check its file information. Post it here so we can see if there's anything wrong with it.

p.s. Which channel and server were you downloading from?

Comment

• khp
      The Other
      • Nov 2001

To the best of my knowledge there is absolutly no way that you can get infected by simply playing an avi file.

A codec might be infected, so you should not install those unless the source is trustworthy.
      Donate your idle CPU time for something usefull.
      http://folding.stanford.edu/

Comment

Working...