• admin
    Administrator
    • Nov 2001

Hatch Takes Aim at Illegal Downloading

Hatch Takes Aim at Illegal Downloading

By TED BRIDIS
    The Associated Press
    Tuesday, June 17, 2003; 5:22 PM

WASHINGTON - The chairman of the Senate Judiciary Committee said Tuesday he favors developing new technology to remotely destroy the computers of people who illegally download music from the Internet.

more ...

Seems the RIAA finally convinced someone that their plan was a good idea
    Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

It's only Orrin Hatch, so don't sweat it ;>}

Comment

• Batman
      Lord of Digital Video
      Lord of Digital Video
      • Jan 2002

The idea is absurd and hopefully Congress realizes that as well.

If the bill would pass, millions of people/computers would be fried. I guess this gives new meaning to the phrase "Freedom fries"

Comment

• The Edge
        Digital Video Expert
        Digital Video Expert
        • Jan 2003

It's not April 1st today is it?

Edge
        "…I know the industry is formally opposed to that kind of thing [bootlegging] but I'm not. I don't have a problem with it at all." -- Paul McGuiness"

Comment

• Livewire
          • Jun 2003

QUOTE:

"It wouldn't work," Kerr said. "There's no way of limiting the damage."

Last year, Rep. Howard Berman, D-Calif., ignited a firestorm across the Internet over a proposal to give the entertainment industry new powers to disrupt downloads of pirated music and movies. It would have lifted civil and criminal penalties against entertainment companies for disabling, diverting or blocking the trading of pirated songs and movies on the Internet.

But Berman, ranking Democrat on the House Judiciary panel on the Internet and intellectual property, always has maintained that his proposal wouldn't permit hacker-style attacks by the industry on Internet users.

Unquote:

Basically the thread aint worth the attention. I am sure enough Hackers out there would respond with the same attitude against the hacking RIAA, thus destroying RIAA's Computer. Or more Hacks being released to avert the RIAA to destroy the offending user's PC. It will however avert the PC illiterate users. This would cause more apathy towards violating the copywrite laws and add to the reasons to dislike the RIAA & thier unsavory practices. Millions of Americans Can't be wrong.
          Government throws more money at a problem, so it looks like they are making a difference.

Comment

• rsquirell
            Digital Video Master
            Digital Video Master
            • Feb 2003

I envision a prohibitionist old hag dressed in turn-of-the-century sufferagette clothes wielding an axe busting through my door and chopping up my PC/DVD player and VCR.

Comment

• rsquirell
              Digital Video Master
              Digital Video Master
              • Feb 2003

Carrie Nation aside...I'll remind you that Hatch couldn't nail Clinton despite a mountain of evidence...what makes you think this bumbling old fool could succeed at this. Sleep soundly.

Comment

• admin
                Administrator
                • Nov 2001

Orrin Hatch: Software Pirate?

Sen. Orrin Hatch (R-Utah) suggested Tuesday that people who download copyright materials from the Internet should have their computers automatically destroyed.

But Hatch himself is using unlicensed software on his official website, which presumably would qualify his computer to be smoked by the system he proposes.

The senator's site makes extensive use of a JavaScript menu system developed by Milonic Solutions, a software company based in the United Kingdom. The copyright-protected code has not been licensed for use on Hatch's website.

Sen. Orrin Hatch (R-Utah) suggested Tuesday that people who download copyright materials from the Internet should have their computers automatically destroyed. But Hatch himself is using unlicensed software on his official website, which presumably would qualify his computer to be smoked by the system he proposes. The senator's site makes extensive use of a JavaScript […]

Oops ...
                Visit Digital Digest and dvdloc8.com, My Blog

Comment

• The Edge
                  Digital Video Expert
                  Digital Video Expert
                  • Jan 2003

*Your website will self destruct in 5 seconds.......*

"…I know the industry is formally opposed to that kind of thing [bootlegging] but I'm not. I don't have a problem with it at all." -- Paul McGuiness"

Comment

• SKD_Tech
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    Lord of Digital Video
                    • Jan 2003

So what they want to do is stop P2P users by being criminals and sometimes killing out 2, 3, or 4 thousand dollars of a person? Screw them...

Comment

• chickeneater
                      Digital Video Expert
                      Digital Video Expert
                      • Apr 2002

lock the door. the government shouldn't be able to get through that...
                      FFDShow filters
                      Guliverkli's Media Player Classic

Comment

• SKD_Tech
                        Lord of Digital Video
                        Lord of Digital Video
                        • Jan 2003

Got both my firewalls up and running. I would like to see them get past them.

Comment

• rsquirell
                          Digital Video Master
                          Digital Video Master
                          • Feb 2003

Good Lord man...they've had that carnivore thing to catch pedophiles for years...they can get through anything. But the first time they fry someone's personal computer there should be a cry on high...I'm sure Drudge would love to hear it...and the people screaming will be conservatives...Hatch's voting base. This is going nowhere.

Comment

• Batman
                            Lord of Digital Video
                            Lord of Digital Video
                            • Jan 2002

Originally posted by chickeneater
                            lock the door. the government shouldn't be able to get through that...
                            ....or duct tape

Comment

• SKD_Tech
                              Lord of Digital Video
                              Lord of Digital Video
                              • Jan 2003

Just unplug your phone line/ satalite line/cable line

Comment

Working...