Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • jdog2001
    • Sep 2003

Recording from VCR/DVD Player?

Ok I have a question what is the point of having a piece of hardware like the ^@#% I got from nvidia personal cinema package if I cant record my old video tapes and DVD clips to my PC. Thats what I got the thing for.

I have probed this forum for the answer to my problem with the white bar across my video and still captures. I degrated my WDM capture device to 1.08 and downloaded TVTool and nothing works. Actually i can capture for about 3 seconds video without the bar, but then it gets smart.

So isnt it pointless to sell this type of hardware? I dont understand. I have Dazzle DVC from a long time ago and thought I might be able to get something new. Oh no. Not gonna happen.

P.S. If any has the answer to my solution, without having to be a $%%$% electronics engineer, please let me know.

Also is there a place where I could help BAN MACROVISION!

Thanks In Advance.
  • WildmanJoe
    • Jan 2003

The only solution to recording from a macrovision source is to use an ATI card with Video-in, and using a hacked input driver (atixxx.dll) which removes the macrovision restriction from the DVD input source.

Comment

• setarip
      Retired
      • Dec 2001

Read this thread which, although you haven't identified your device, appears to use the NVidia drivers:

Comment

• jdog2001
        • Sep 2003

Identified Device?

uh yes i did, Nvidia Personal Cinema

And thanks but already been to that post.
        Last edited by jdog2001; 13 Sep 2003, 12:55 PM.

Comment

• setarip
          Retired
          • Dec 2001

(The caps that you've now added make it more obvious - I guess old age is getting the better of me)

The following is all that is "promised" regarding capturing by this system:

"• Never missing your favorite TV program by schedule recording.

• Capture video directly from camcorder to DVD or CD saving valuable hard-drive space

• Capture video from DV, D8, and Hi8 camcorders

• WinDVR for watching TV and recording TV shows on your computer."

In light of the fact that Microsoft created the WDM concept, do you actually think they'd support the ability to override the protection of commercial media?

Comment

• jdog2001
            • Sep 2003

uh, what about archiving your VHS tapes to DVD? Like home movies things like that.

Comment

• setarip
              Retired
              • Dec 2001

"Like home movies things like that."

Do YOU add Macrovision to YOUR VHS home movies?

I'm just trying to provide you with insight and information (from a site that advertises the "virtues' of your product - otherwise known as specs), so please don't be "cute" with me...

Did you read the thread for which I provided a link? If so, does it help you?

Comment

• jdog2001
                • Sep 2003

cute?

lol, ok. Anyway, no I dont add macrovision to my VHS tapes, actually it was a quick and thoughtless example. The fact of the matter is that I dont know anything about how things are coded, I am trying to figure out why?

Why do they allow you to record TV shows but not record a movie from video or DVD to your hard drive? Hmm.

I understand that people out there want to rip DVD's or videos and sell them. That can be and will always be able to be done even with macrovision in place. I just want to cut and place clips to my hard drive, whats wrong with that? I have a video collection of 200 VHS movies and over 300 DVD's (All purchased legally) I would like to have full control personally of those authorized copies that are not being re-sold. I bought them and all I can do is watch them? I have all this hardware and technology and someone higher says that I cant do what I want with these videos within a legal sense.

Either way its a lost cause for now. I am just ripping the DVD's to my hard drive and picking at them that way. VHS well I could really careless. I just think this will lead to the destruction of PVR's which will probably be soon. To me, its just sad.

Sorry if I may have offended you with any words I have typed but for you to layout what my box and manual already say makes me feel you think I am incompitent.

Thanks for talking.

Comment

• setarip
                  Retired
                  • Dec 2001

Did you read the thread for which I provided a link? If so, does it help you?

Comment

• jdog2001
                    • Sep 2003

Yes, I did read the thread. It did not help me very much. I tried some of the tips and still nothing. I am actually happy ripping the DVD's to my hard drive and picking them apart there.

Thanks for your help in this matter.

Jason Moore

Get your very own domain easily. Fast and professional customer service.

jason.moore@gatorstudios.com

Comment

• setarip
                      Retired
                      • Dec 2001

"Thanks for your help in this matter."

My pleasure ;>}

Comment

• Shakenstir
                        • Oct 2003

I'm kindof new to using Forums. I generally rely on friends for this type of info, so please let me know if I should have posted a new topic/thread rather than replying to this one.

I ran into the same problem recently with the white bar issue. I am using a Visiontek GeForce4 TI4600 that has s-video in, and PowerDirector Pro. The interesting thing in my case, is that I started capturing DVD movies and VHS tapes with this setup over a year ago, and it work great! No problems. But I stopped for a long time because I wasn't happy burning these movies to VCD and could not afford a DVD Writer.

I recently bought a DVD writer and decided to capture a few of my own DVD's again. Now I'm getting this white bar. Nothing has changed on my setup from a hardware perspective. I even tried a few of the same DVD's that I originally captured in this way a year ago. They all do the same thing.

So what I need to figure out is this. Is there a particular driver that I unwittingly updated that is now causing this white bar when capturing video from DVD? If so, does anyone have any idea what driver that might be. I'm tempted to format my hard drive and re-install WindowsXP, along with the original WDM drivers and try again (thinking that it's an updated video driver, WDM driver or Windows update that caused this.

Any thoughts before I waste a lot of time?

Comment

• Shakenstir
                          • Oct 2003

I just found another thread that seems to answer my question. Sorry to spam this one, but it appears that the problem may be the version of the WDM driver that I'm using. I probably updated at some point. The 1.08 version (on my original driver disk) should fix the problem according to this thread:

Talk about making your PC-DVD system (ie. your TV-out device) Macrovision-free, for those who needs to connect their TV-output to the VCR (eg. because the TV doesn't have composite/S-Video inputs)

I'll try it and post my results to this one.

Comment

• Shakenstir
                            • Oct 2003

The 1.08 version does work. No more white bar when capturing video from MacroVision protected movies.

Comment

• Traiklin
                              • Apr 2004

Originally posted by WildmanJoe
                              The only solution to recording from a macrovision source is to use an ATI card with Video-in, and using a hacked input driver (atixxx.dll) which removes the macrovision restriction from the DVD input source.
                              Where can I get this file from? I did a search on google but it kept pointing to forums saying you need that file.

Comment

Working...