Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Keylor
    • Feb 2003

Encoding Question....

I am digitizing straight to DivX using codec 5.02 and VirtuDub with the Ospry 220 Capture card. Can anyone out there give me any pointers in getting the BEST QUALLITY and COMPRESSION (settings etc.) without having any frames dropped while encoding. Very important that I have absolutly 0 Frames dropped for videos ranging from 30-90 minites. Thanks in advance and sorry if this is something that has been discussed before and is repetitive.

-Keylor
  • Batman
    Lord of Digital Video
    Lord of Digital Video
    • Jan 2002

Use the settings recommended in Uncasms's guide or the doom9.org guides. Also, you might want to search this and the doom9.org forum, for details on the settings other people use.

BTW, I am guessing that you have a fairly "high powered" cpu to be capturing directly to divx, otherwise you will encounter lost frames. If you do infact are experiencing frame drops then it would be better for you to capture with a lossless codec (Requires lots of space though) and then convert to divx.

Comment

• Keylor
      • Feb 2003

Thanx! I'll check out those docs. I've just about read everything else. we're using a 1.3 G processor and the reason for encoding straight to Divx is to be able to encode to 1 simple step to save time. Thanks again for the help.

Comment

• Batman
        Lord of Digital Video
        Lord of Digital Video
        • Jan 2002

What kind of 1.3 Ghz processor? Duron? Celeron? Pentium 4?

I personally do not think such a processor would be capable of realtime divx encoding, unless perhaps you have a very good capture card. However, you can test and see.

Comment

• Keylor
          • Feb 2003

It's actually a P3 So far with our 'experiments' we've almost come to a formula setting that we can tolerate.. but still want to tweak some things out. The Osprey card we're using is supposed to be very good for capturing and they say it's certified fto work with DivX.. but that's what THEY say.. LOL

And the source is a Digibeta.. capturing at 29.97 to 30fps...almost got the bugs worked out of it.

Comment

• chickeneater
            Digital Video Expert
            Digital Video Expert
            • Apr 2002

just a little off topic, but strongbad rules! www.homestarrunner.com is great. You got to check out the strongbad email at www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail.html
            FFDShow filters
            Guliverkli's Media Player Classic

Comment

• Keylor
              • Feb 2003

Sweeeeeeeet.. I know .. I am a regular visitor of Homstar Runner.. "LONG LIVE STRONGBADIA.. Population: Tire."

Comment

Working...