Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • hipsterdoufus
    • Jan 2002

convert vob to mpeg2

I like ripping selected scenes from various DVD's and eventually I'd like to edit them and make a compilation DVD. My problem is there isn't any vob editors that have a visual display, which makes editing a vob file a hit and miss affair. So I was wondering what the best codec to use to convert these vobs to mpeg2 so I can use a regular video editing program to make my compilations. Also I don't want any deterioration in quality.
  • setarip
    Retired
    • Dec 2001

Try TMPGEnc's "MPEGTools" facility - to demultiplex (in order to eliminate unwanted audio streams) and then remultiplex as MPEG2 (incorporating only the videostream and audiostream[s] you wish to retain...

Comment

• Smilin_Jim
      • Aug 2002

I pondered the question about how to go from VOB to MPeg2 for about a day before I stumbled across the following solution.

Just rename the file from CoolStuffCLip.VOB to CoolStuffClip.MPG. The format seems to be the same with just a different extension.

Works like a champ for me. Somebody probably knows some esoteric reason that it is not good100% of the time, but so far, so good.

Comment

• setarip
        Retired
        • Dec 2001

To Smilin_Jim

"Works like a champ for me. Somebody probably knows some esoteric reason that it is not good100% of the time, but so far, so good."

Far from merely esoteric - as I mentioned in my initial response to " hipsterdoufus", you can eliminate unneeded/unwanted extra audio tracks, thereby making for a (potentially) much smaller file - as well as one that can then, if desired, be readily converted to other formats...

Comment

• Smilin_Jim
          • Aug 2002

I am certian that you are correct about the advantages.
          I was basing my statement on where I was as a user when I was asking that kind of a question. At that point, TMPGen was way too far beyond where I was. My assumption was that it is really hard to find anywhere that says that you can just rename it and use an MPEG2 editor. One of these days I'm going to learn how to break it all apart and throw away German subtracks, but, for starters, it is just that simple.

Maybe esoteric was a bit harsh. I just grabbed a word and threw it. What I really meant was that for lesson #1, renaming works fine.

Guess that's why I still have a novice rating.

Comment

• hipsterdoufus
            • Jan 2002

I went into mpeg tools in tempgenc and in the 'type' box it only goes up to svcd mpeg2. I want exact dvd mpeg2. Svcd is not quite DVD right?

Comment

• setarip
              Retired
              • Dec 2001

To hipsterdoufus

For your desired purpose, select "MPEG2" NOT "MPEG2-SuperVideoCD"...

Comment

• hipsterdoufus
                • Jan 2002

You mean 'MPEG2 Program[VBR]'?

Comment

• setarip
                  Retired
                  • Dec 2001

Yes...

Comment

• hipsterdoufus
                    • Jan 2002

I recently rented the DVD 'Vanilla Sky' starring Tom Cruise and I ripped a chapter to my hard drive using smartripper. But when I watched the resulting Vob the audio was in czech not english. So enabled stream processing and saw that there was one czech audio stream and six english audio streams, so I unchecked the czech and ripped it again. The resulting vob had no audio at all. Anyway I finally managed to get one vob with the video and one vob with just the english audio. Now the problem is how can I join these two to make one vob. I tried multiplexing them with TMPGEnc but the program doesn't recognise the audio only vob.
                    Does anyone know how to rip Vanilla Sky in english?

Also, in regards to changing the extension .vob to .mpg. I tried this with one vob file then I tried using this 'mpg' file in a video edting program but it doesn't work.

Comment

• setarip
                      Retired
                      • Dec 2001

"Also, in regards to changing the extension .vob to .mpg. I tried this with one vob file then I tried using this 'mpg' file in a video edting program but it doesn't work."

Once again, as I stated in my initial response to you, "Try TMPGEnc's "MPEGTools" facility - to demultiplex (in order to eliminate unwanted audio streams) and then remultiplex as MPEG2 (incorporating only the videostream and audiostream[s] you wish to retain..."

Comment

• hipsterdoufus
                        • Jan 2002

I've tried demultiplex some vobs but I have come across a problemo. On a lot of vobs TMPEGenc is not picking up the audio streams. For example after demultiplexing a vob it came up with a video stream and a few padded streams but no audio stream.
                        What's up with that?

Comment

Working...