X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • snuh
    • Aug 2002

probably a newbie question, but i couldn't find the answer anywhere

Hi,

I apologize if this is indeed a newbie question, but I couldn't find the answer anywhere.

I have an AVI file. I created subtitles for it with MicroDVD. Now I want to burn the AVI on a CD with the subtitles as a VCD/SVCD/DVD, so I will be able to play it on any DVD ROM or deck.

There's probably something I'm missing in MicroDVD (I have created an INI file in MicroDVD INI Wizard but I don't know what to do with it now...

Please please please help me out here

Thank you so much,

Me.
  • Nielchiano
    • Aug 2002

You are indeed missing something, but that's caused by all the terms...

<ul>
    <li>DVD is a standard format, defined by I-dont-know-who TM.
    <li>miniDVD is a derivated NON-standard format which is logicaly a DVD, but burned/pressed on a CD.
    <li>microDVD is a look-like-DVD NON-standard format. It is logicaly and phisicaly a data CD.
    </ul>

The only "DVD"s you can play in a DVDplayer (soft or hardware) are DVD and miniDVD (it's not a standard, but is should work). a microDVD cannot (yet) be played in a DVDplayer.

the big difference between (mini)DVD and microDVD (or µDVD) is that DVD is encoded in MPEG2 and AC3 sound (PCM is also allowed and MPEG2 audio also). A µDVD is usualy encoded as DivX video and MPEG1layer3 (more known as MP3) sound.

DVD players do not have the codecs to play such streams.

To do what you want, you'll have to create a SVCD or mini DVD (i suggest the latter, since it's more versatile). (Doom9's guides are wonderful for this)

Hope this helps,
    Nielchiano
    We were all newbies once... and we all needed some help once, so lets once help the newbies.

Comment

• snuh
      • Aug 2002

Thank you but...

Hi and thank you very much for your response.

Unfortunately I am not familiar with that guide you are talking about, can you please post the link.

Besides that -- will that resolve the subtitle issue I mentioned? Because I can use programs like Nero or EasyCDcreator to create the VCD, but I want to have subtiltles too...

And thank you again for your help.

Comment

• Nielchiano
        • Aug 2002

and shame on you that you don't know Doom9's site

For the subtitle part: I don't know anything about subtitled (S)VCD's so, sorry...
        We were all newbies once... and we all needed some help once, so lets once help the newbies.

Comment

• snuh
          • Aug 2002

Thank you SO much ! (and...)

Thank you so very very much. your help is much appreciated.

I will check Doom9's site of course.

Can anyone else give me some pointers regarding on how to burn (S)VCD with subtitles? Please?

Thank you.

---
          He says there are no easy answers, I'm saying "He's not looking hard enough!!"

Comment

• Nielchiano
            • Aug 2002

I remember something... www.vcdhelp.com.

I don't know about the subtitle thing, but check it out.

Comment

Working...