Collapse
X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • phyg le naut
    • Aug 2002

dvd to dvdr straight copies?

anyone help with a quick question for a really busy person!

keep in mind i'm NOT a "newbie" i was ripping dvd's onto vcd's 3 years ago, i've just been away from doing that for a while, and i'm extremely busy, and don't have time to pour through a ton of threads looking for anwsers or half anwsers to my question.

very simple . . . i have some dvd's that are under 4.7 that i'd like to do straight copies of. i got an hp dvd 200i dvd writer.

the software that comes with the drive of course has ridiculous copy protection features that won't let me copy from a protected disc to a blank although the software does support straight copies as long as the original is not copy protected. anyone figure out a way around this yet? without having to go through the whole ripping process? any good software that can work through the copy protection perhaps?

again, dvd's under 4.7, straight identical copies without going through the ripping process? anyone? i'd imagine someone must have figured this out by now eh?

thanks for any info

zef
  • xDJx KinetiX
    • Aug 2002

You might try Nero Burning Rom...just a suggestion, nenver tried it b4

Comment

• Nielchiano
      • Aug 2002

Yeah, Nero should do. But keep in mind, most DVD-/+R's are only 4.3GB or something, so...
      We were all newbies once... and we all needed some help once, so lets once help the newbies.

Comment

• phyg le naut
        • Aug 2002

tried nero 5.5.5.9 and it did a straight copy of a 3.9 gig dvd
        i had, and said it did it successfully however, when i tried
        to play it using my hp dvd 200i it gave a bunch of green pixelated
        garbage . . . "digital feedback" or whatever you want to call it.

i could mouse over things on the menu although the menu was extremely distorted, and then i could click on them and it attempted to play them but then my playback software locked up. i tried playing it on my regular dvd player (hooked up
        to my television) and it didn't even recognize it as a disc, and the dvd rom drive on my laptop also did not even recognize anything being on the disc. my hp dvd 200i drive recognizes it as a dvd movie, and i can browse it, but it won't let me play individual .vob files and of course trying to watch it with a player results in all the afore mentioned distortion.

any more ideas? again, my intent is to do straight dvd to dvd +r/dvd +rw copies with dvd's that are under the size limit. looking for software that can do this and work around the copy protection without having to go through the ripping and reencoding process.

thanks for any more info

zef

Comment

• setarip
          Retired
          • Dec 2001

If you don't "rip" the DVD, you'll therefore not have removed the copy protection. As an obvious consequence, a direct copy of a copy protected DVD will not work properly...

Make a LITTLE effort and rip the ENTIRE DVD with DVDDecrypter. You should then be able to successfully burn the hard drive version of your DVD to a duplicate...

Comment

• phyg le naut
            • Aug 2002

o.k.

well, that was my overall question . . . has anyone figured out an all in one solution to copying dvd's. i guess the anwser is no. i just imagined that after 3 years, some software company could've come out with an all in one solution that decrypts (rips) and burns at the same time. some company with the cajones to stand up to the stupid movie industry, and let us do what we're all gonna do anyway, which is after all, perfectly legal, to make back up copies of stuff that we bought.

and as far as a "LITTLE" effort is concerned, not all of us have an immense amount of time to work on stuff like this. for me time is a big issue, and hard drive space is sparce so ripping is cumbersome for me. i've made some really great vcd's in the past, some reencoded copies, and some heavily edited works of my own like all the pink floyd synchronicities, (for anyone who knows about those), and put them on vcd, but that was when i had more time to mess around, and i recall doing stuff like that always ended up being an entire weekend project. and if anything went wrong you had to wait till the next weekend and hopefully do it right the 2nd time around.

so anyway, i just thought i'd check back in and see if anyone knew about an all in one solution yet . . . guess not, so i guess i'll wait another year . . .

thanks for the info anyway,

zef

Comment

• cplevel42
              • Jun 2002

I use Nero

Hi!

I use Nero all of the time for doing straight copies that are 4.3 gig and under. Always works like a charm. If you have copy protection on the disc, like the other person said you will need to rip out the copy guard - Nero wont work. I deal with the in a different way. I play the DVD on a stand alone DVD palyer and run the video through a video stabilizer that removes the copy guard signal. Then the clean input captures to the video card. The video stabilizers are really built for one reason, to remove copy protection. There is a link for a good one that is listed on this site.

I use it. It works great.
              cplevel42@attbi.com

Comment

• setarip
                Retired
                • Dec 2001

To cplevel42

"I play the DVD on a stand alone DVD palyer and run the video through a video stabilizer that removes the copy guard signal. Then the clean input captures to the video card."

And how, in the manner you've described, are you able to create the .IFO, .BUP, and .VOB files required to play a true DVD duplicate???

Comment

• cplevel42
                  • Jun 2002

True!

True Duplicate? Not really. Because as you mention setarip, the .vob and IFO files are not recreated. I usually create my own chapters with software and combine with mpeg2. I would really like to learn how to Rip DVDs and have all of the .VOBs and IFOs fit on the 4.3 gig DVD-R and have a true duplicate. I have read many of the hlp guides but they don't give step by step instructions and they don't say how to fit it o 9.4 gig dual layer on to a 4.3 gig DVD-R.

I am planning to post to ask these questions so I can learn, but maybe you could shed some light. By the way setarip, thanks for helping me out in the past posts, I really appreciate it.

How do you make a duplicate DVD that is over 9 gigs and then burn to 4.3 gig DVD-R with the quality of the original? How long is your process(how many hours for a 2hr flick)? How many steps are involved?
                  cplevel42@attbi.com

Comment

• setarip
                    Retired
                    • Dec 2001

"True Duplicate? Not really."

Then why are you posting your (misleading) information in response to a question specifically about duplicating DVDs?

Comment

• cplevel42
                      • Jun 2002

Huh?

I have NEVER tried to mislead anyone on this forum. I have had a few people email me privately to ask questions and I have helped to best of my ability. Remeber, I am a newbie and only have 25 posts so far, so I may not understand every aspect of every tool that is used.

I NEVER do anything that is with malice here. If you look at the posting, you will see that I said that I use Nero to do STRAIGHT COPIES for stuff that is under 4.3 gig and that it works fine, but when it is movies, I capture. You cannot have a straight copy if you capture. I'm sorry, I though people knew that. I never said that I was making straight copies from the 9 gig store bought discs. I was only stating that this is how I get a movie on to a DVD-R to be able to watch it. So, the 1st part of my post was relevant to making straight copies, and the second part was just me saying what I'm doing now for the longer DVDs. Can U even do a straight copy of a 9gig DVD and NOT delete (rip out) extras? and fit it onto a 4.3 DVD-R? I don't even think its possible, so really there is no such thing a TRUE duplicate with these bigger files. You have to rip something out to make it fit. If its edited, it not a duplicate.

This guy says he is Busy and wants a quick way to copy these DVDs and that there is copy protection on the source discs, I offrered the solution to use a macrovision remover that is inline between the stand alone and the capture card. To my knowledge, this is the quickest and most versatile way to do it. If you have a better way thats faster, please tell us.
                      Last edited by cplevel42; 27 Aug 2002, 04:54 AM.
                      cplevel42@attbi.com

Comment

• setarip
                        Retired
                        • Dec 2001

To cplevel42

Don't "get your panties in a bunch" ;>} No one accused you of TRYING to mislead anyone. And most certainly, there wasn't even mention made of "malice".

I simply pointed out to you that the poster was seeking a way to DUPLICATE copy-protected DVDs, while your response addressed capturing a playing movie from a standalone player. As such, your response was misleading.

If you don't see the distinction, allow me to quote YOU, in your last post here, to wit: "This guy says he is Busy and wants a quick way to copy these DVDs and that there is copy protection on the source discs."

Once again, capturing a movie is NOT the same as copying a DVD...
                        Last edited by setarip; 27 Aug 2002, 10:52 AM.

Comment

• cplevel42
                          • Jun 2002

Not a Panty wearer.

Boxer shorts, Boxer shorts!

OK listen, sorry if it sounded like I was pissed, but I just don't want people here to think that I would try to mislead. I guess that maybe I read into your statement a bit too much. Sorry for that, but capturing is a form of copying. I mean it really is. Hell, when you play it back, it looks the same. You can even add chapter breaks in the exact same spot as the original.

Anyways, it's all water under the bridge. You have been on this forum long enough to know what works and what dosnt. I would just ask that you guys that know your shit, help out the new people. If its not about learning and helping others, its just a place to show off. Who needs that?
                          cplevel42@attbi.com

Comment

• Tweety Pie
                            • May 2002

Very short and simple my friend.

If the dvd is less than 4.5 gigish do this.

1/ Download tha latest version you can of Smartripper (presuming you haven't already got it).

2/ Start playing the dvd in your dvd software (powerdvd or whatever) until th film starts. As soon as you have done this stop the film and close down the dvd software.

3/ Open up smartripper and click the third button on youtr left.....i.e. the backup button.

4/ Click the various options you want i.e. demacrovision (which will take the crappy picture of that you are experiencing) etc

5/ Select your directory to output to and away you go!

By the way for some reason i dont have to do step 2....but other ppl i know do for some reason....it is necessary to unlock the drive so smartripper can read the dvd properly.........i think lol

Comment

• zerodfence
                              • Aug 2002

There seems to be a war going on in here

Anyway, copying DVDs (straight copy) will always be a problem until they bring out Dual layer DVDs for copying (DVD9) i think you can get these but would cost you tons and would work out cheaper to buy the dam DVD in the first place.

Would like to know which DVDs are less than 4.7gb as 99% of the ones i have checked are all over 4.7.

Anyway, what i wanted to say is has anyone tried PRIMO DVD ? to copy the DVD directly.

Like i said, so far i have only come across 1 DVD under 4.7, hence no extras, nothing zip, narda. I think i Ripped that to the HD removing the macrovision then just copy the files onto a DVD.

So try PRIMO DVD.

Comment

Working...